cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Mailbox Archives to PST Performance

Julian_Southern
Level 3

Hi - I have been tasked with exporting a significant amount of Mailbox Archives to PST for legal reasons. The in built tool that comes with EV10 is great and it does what I need but it's extremeley slow.

Is there any way to increase the performace of the task by maybe have the task running against multuple archives at the same time using multiple processes? It's taken just over 2 hours to export an archive albeit that archive was 5Gb!

Regards

Julian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Julian,

You can have more than one instance of the Archie Export Wizard running at once.  However, you wouldn't want to go crazy or anything and just start firing off exports. smiley

What you could do is open another session of the Export Wizard and start another export and then monitor the server performance.  I would speculate you wouldn't see much benifit doing more than three at a time, but it is going to depend on your EV server and whatever else it is doing at the time.

HTH,

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Julian,

You can have more than one instance of the Archie Export Wizard running at once.  However, you wouldn't want to go crazy or anything and just start firing off exports. smiley

What you could do is open another session of the Export Wizard and start another export and then monitor the server performance.  I would speculate you wouldn't see much benifit doing more than three at a time, but it is going to depend on your EV server and whatever else it is doing at the time.

HTH,

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

It might also be worth considering some of the third party tools that are out there.

Working for cloudficient.com

Jeff_Shotton
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I remember reading somewhere that you should not set off more export wizards than you have CPU cores available (excluding hyperthreading), but as Tony says - it depends on what the EV server (and SQL) is doing at the time.

Regards,

Jeff

John_Santana
Level 6

Yes I also feel that in my dual core 4 GB EV 8.0 SP4 the export to PST is bit slow, however I am now in the process of upgrading it into EV 9.0 SP...x in Windows Server 2008 R2 SP2 64 bit, hopefully the performance gain is there :)

TheEmptyMind
Level 4

2 hours to export 5GB archive is extremely slow.  I do not think targeting more processes will necessarily help address the slowness with individual exports and I think you should start addressing the slowness with just one task and then bumping up more parallel processes will help increase the throughput.  A few possibilities where the slowness could be coming from include, but not limited to, the performance of storage that is being read, the target storage where the PST is being written to, SQL server performance and of course, the EV server that is doing the export.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Also .. Storage media and speed .. of the archived data.

Working for cloudficient.com