cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export journal to PST failing

NotFromRoundHer
Level 2

Hi, all.

I need to export our journal archive into PST files to migrate it to MIMECast.

I've already exported 201 GB of personal archives into PSTs with no problems. Whenever I do the journal account, it gets to PST number 28 (about 15GB) and fails.

I rang Symantec. The only solution they had was to break down the export into smaller chunks. Fine, but I tried a chunk that was 15 days long and that failed. We've got three years' worth of journaling, and I don't fancy having to start a new export task for every 10 day period. Also, to use that method would mean moving each set of archives into a new folder, so that it won't append the next set of e-mails to the last of the PSTs in the same folder. That method would lead to file naming issues.

Whilst the export is going on, the available system memory in taskmanager is slowly going down. It then fails and the available memory creeps back up.

I've now got an 80GB page file. The Symantec guy said adding more virtual memory would extend the amount of achives it could do before crashing, but it didn't change anything.

I tried tweaking the PST file size. I tried 200MB and it only exported 2 GB before failing. I didn't see the system memory state that time.

Is there any way around this?

My server spec is:

Dell Poweredge 2950 x86

4x Xeon 2.66

4GB RAM

Windows 2003 SP2 Standard

EV 8 - Service Pack applied but I can't tell which one.

Event Viewer has this:

Export Archive Report

Export status: Incomplete

Processing aborted due to an unrecoverable error.

Many thanks, guys.

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Archive Shuttle from EVTools.net, Transvault, and there is a new tool on the market now called evolve that all may be able to help.

One other option, do you currently have DA?  You might be able to use it to do the export.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

what's the total size of archive data you need to export?

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

80GB page file? that ridiculous, your page file should be 1x4GB and 1x2GB

Most likely the issue you are seeing is a MAPI leak that is more prevalent with PST files where there just isn't a good work around as its all on the MS Outlook/MAPI side of things.

You may need to go to a third party utility that processes the items differently, maybe in a process similar to the way DA does the export, which is to save to an MSG file then at the end import all to the PST files afterwards

am curious though as the answer to andrews question, which is just how much data are we talking about?

As for the PST file size thing, that has only recently been fixed

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

NotFromRoundHer
Level 2

Thanks for getting back to me guys.

I think the total data is about 300GB. but something's amiss if it can only do 2 GB's worth without failing in 200MB chunks.

Symantec mentioned a DR type backup plan, but we need to export to PSTs to send them to MIMECast.

I was almost happy with doing it month by month, but even a fortnight fails. I can't see doing it week by week, whilst creating a new folder for each week's exports, is going to fit into any reasonable timeframe.

Is there anything the management shell can do?

And what third party tools might help?

Thanks

Tom

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Archive Shuttle from EVTools.net, Transvault, and there is a new tool on the market now called evolve that all may be able to help.

One other option, do you currently have DA?  You might be able to use it to do the export.

DanClark
Level 3
Partner

Indeed, TransVault will do this easily. One thing you might want to keep in mind - are you expecting the P1 Envelopes Back for Mimecast to preserve BCC and DL info?

If so, you'll need to use Envelope Reconstruction in whichever tool you use - thereby making sure you export all the Distribution List membership and BCC information.