cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exported Items count difference

zalhaj1
Level 3

I’m trying to export one of our users archived mails to PST, I have notice that the exported items is different from what’s there in the mailbox and archived explorer.

Note:

• We have 2 vault stores (one open and second is closed) they are in different physical Harddisk
  • We are running Enterprise Vault 2007 Version 7.5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The thing is it could be a number of things.
But the one thing i would really concentrate on is the amount of items returned from the search results or even from SQL Queries compared to the export counts themselves as opposed to the location of items

for instance if you don't enabled Moved Items in the archiving policy then you could have shortcuts in locations different to where they get restored.

For instance if you have something like

\Inbox\My Message and then you move the shortcut to \Inbox\SubFolder\My Message
If you don't have Moved Items enabled, then when you look in Archive Explorer it will show "My Message" in \Inbox and not \Inbox\SubFolder....and also when you export to PST file the items will be placed in the original location (\Inbox)

So in this instance you may have 200 shortcuts in a particular folder, but when you export the folder may have 50 items, because the other 150 shortcuts are spread across different folders where they were originally located.

Also another thing is you could have shortcuts from some other archive, such as shared mailboxes, public folders, shortcuts that have been forwarded to you etc, and when you open the Shortcut, as long as you have permissions , it will open, but its not part of your archive, its part of someone elses

And then when you export your archive those items will NOT be exported to PST, even though the shortcut exists in your mailbox, the item does not exist in your archive, it belongs to someone else etc

As for folder counts and miscounts, again for the folder to exist in the archive, an item needs to be archived from that location, so if you move a shortcut in to a folder in exchange, it does not mean that folder will be created in your archive, you have to physically archive an item in that location.

Add to that things such as DeleteEmptyFolders registry settings it will remove folders where no archived items are located in that directory any more etc

So again, you have to look at the counts that exported and base it against a blanket search through search.asp without counting the attachments, and this is all based on the fact that you are exporting the full archive to PST and not choosing any other advanced options such as specific folders and what not

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JesusWept3
Level 6
What version of EV are you using and what version of exchange? Also what is the difference? More gets exported to PST than is in AE? Or less? How are you determining the count in AE? Typically PST exports will never match the mailbox because people delete their shortcuts, so I may have 200 shortcuts in my mailbox but I could have 2000 items I my archive Plus the PST export will only export archived items and not live mail items etc What I would do is simply go to search.asp?advanced, uncheck search attachments and then just enter a blank search and it will tell you how many items there are in the archive

zalhaj1
Level 3

Hi

Thank you for your replay, EV Version 7.5, Exchange is 2007.

The exported items are less; we discover this by comparing the folders in outlook and the exported PST.

Deleting short cut should not affect this since the next archive run we’ll bring them back and the option for that is off.

Where can I find the search.asp

zalhaj1
Level 3

Hi

I have notice that if I try to open the archived items from outlook that not included in the export I can open them and their attachment, so this confirm that the shortcut are pointing to valid archived ityems .

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Search.asp is the same url as Archive Explorer.  Something like this:

http://evserver/enterprisevault/search.asp?advanced

JesusWept3
Level 6

The thing is it could be a number of things.
But the one thing i would really concentrate on is the amount of items returned from the search results or even from SQL Queries compared to the export counts themselves as opposed to the location of items

for instance if you don't enabled Moved Items in the archiving policy then you could have shortcuts in locations different to where they get restored.

For instance if you have something like

\Inbox\My Message and then you move the shortcut to \Inbox\SubFolder\My Message
If you don't have Moved Items enabled, then when you look in Archive Explorer it will show "My Message" in \Inbox and not \Inbox\SubFolder....and also when you export to PST file the items will be placed in the original location (\Inbox)

So in this instance you may have 200 shortcuts in a particular folder, but when you export the folder may have 50 items, because the other 150 shortcuts are spread across different folders where they were originally located.

Also another thing is you could have shortcuts from some other archive, such as shared mailboxes, public folders, shortcuts that have been forwarded to you etc, and when you open the Shortcut, as long as you have permissions , it will open, but its not part of your archive, its part of someone elses

And then when you export your archive those items will NOT be exported to PST, even though the shortcut exists in your mailbox, the item does not exist in your archive, it belongs to someone else etc

As for folder counts and miscounts, again for the folder to exist in the archive, an item needs to be archived from that location, so if you move a shortcut in to a folder in exchange, it does not mean that folder will be created in your archive, you have to physically archive an item in that location.

Add to that things such as DeleteEmptyFolders registry settings it will remove folders where no archived items are located in that directory any more etc

So again, you have to look at the counts that exported and base it against a blanket search through search.asp without counting the attachments, and this is all based on the fact that you are exporting the full archive to PST and not choosing any other advanced options such as specific folders and what not