cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting Search results

Slack
Level 4

From the admin console, I have done a search for the things I need to find and got back 50,000 results (this is correct).

I now need to export just these results to a PST.

However, it seems like there is no way to do this. You have to manually highlight all of the items you want to export so you can right click, export. Only problem, you can only show a couple of hundred messages on screen at once - so no way to export 50,000 results at once.

Am I just getting the wrong end of the stick here? Is there some feature of EV11 I am not aware of?

I just posted a post because there is no way to mass manage mailbox archive permissions in EV11 and now there is also no way to bulk export search results?

Are we seriously expected to manage a solution that has "Enterprise" in the title in such a granular manner? 

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

Hi Slack,
Generally, large or complex searches require Discovery Accelerator (DA) as it can perform the searches and export all results to PST.
Enterprise Vault Search (EVS) is designed more for user day to day activity.

There are some possible adjustments that can be made for the search results and the number of items that can be selected. I would suggest opening a Support case so the options can be discussed in more detail.

Regards,
Patrick

View solution in original post

daveoflave
Level 4
Employee

Hi Slack,

Also consider editing the web.config that controls the new EVSearch in EV 11 and after; it's found here (If EV is installed on C: of course): 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVSearch\EVSearchClient\Web.config

It's got a couple of options that could mitigate your concen, such as: 

<add key="ResultInitialRecordCount" value="100"/>
    <add key="ResultNextRecordCount" value="200"/>
    <add key="ResultMaxRecordOnCache" value="1100"/>
    <add key="ResultMaxRecordOnUI" value="500"/>
    <add key="ResultMaxRecordOnUIForIE8" value="300"/>
    <add key="ResultsMaxRecordsThatCanBeSelected" value="200"/>

The highest I've ever tried to use or ever seen an organization use for these is 10,000.  This would allow you to make much larger exports in one step, though keep in mind that the defaults are there for a reason - normal IIS/Web server timeouts and other http limitations might cause poor peformance the higher you set these.  But I had a situation in which I needed to test the export of over 4,000 items to a zip and manipulating these values allowed me to get it done.  That's not your 50k number, but at least using this you could cut down your repeated steps to only a few. 

As far as EV being an "Enterprise" product, I think it certainly archives at an "Enterprise" scale, and Veritas has touted the necessity for DA (as a separate purchase) as a means to perform targeted/detailed/bulk searches for many years.  But I would agree that the built-in Search is not the most robust.  LIke Mr. Laudone mentioned, it's more for users to retrieve particular handfuls of emails.  Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Daveoflave

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

Hi Slack,
Generally, large or complex searches require Discovery Accelerator (DA) as it can perform the searches and export all results to PST.
Enterprise Vault Search (EVS) is designed more for user day to day activity.

There are some possible adjustments that can be made for the search results and the number of items that can be selected. I would suggest opening a Support case so the options can be discussed in more detail.

Regards,
Patrick

I assume that Discover Accelerator is a purchasable add-on and not included with EV?

Thanks

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

Hi,

Yes, DA is a purchasable add-on as not all customers require it for day to day activity.  

Regards,

Patrick 

daveoflave
Level 4
Employee

Hi Slack,

Also consider editing the web.config that controls the new EVSearch in EV 11 and after; it's found here (If EV is installed on C: of course): 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVSearch\EVSearchClient\Web.config

It's got a couple of options that could mitigate your concen, such as: 

<add key="ResultInitialRecordCount" value="100"/>
    <add key="ResultNextRecordCount" value="200"/>
    <add key="ResultMaxRecordOnCache" value="1100"/>
    <add key="ResultMaxRecordOnUI" value="500"/>
    <add key="ResultMaxRecordOnUIForIE8" value="300"/>
    <add key="ResultsMaxRecordsThatCanBeSelected" value="200"/>

The highest I've ever tried to use or ever seen an organization use for these is 10,000.  This would allow you to make much larger exports in one step, though keep in mind that the defaults are there for a reason - normal IIS/Web server timeouts and other http limitations might cause poor peformance the higher you set these.  But I had a situation in which I needed to test the export of over 4,000 items to a zip and manipulating these values allowed me to get it done.  That's not your 50k number, but at least using this you could cut down your repeated steps to only a few. 

As far as EV being an "Enterprise" product, I think it certainly archives at an "Enterprise" scale, and Veritas has touted the necessity for DA (as a separate purchase) as a means to perform targeted/detailed/bulk searches for many years.  But I would agree that the built-in Search is not the most robust.  LIke Mr. Laudone mentioned, it's more for users to retrieve particular handfuls of emails.  Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Daveoflave

Thanks for that info.

In terms of DA though, it seems like a bit of a rip off to me. We already have the function to do the Indexing, searching and exporting built in to Vault. This works really well and is pretty quick. Just if you want to do more than a few hundred you have to pay for extra... maybe you will end up with a slightly nicer interface, more like the mailbox export interface (which you already have) but at the end of the day you certainly seem to have to pay for something you basically already have.

Well, disapointing but it is what it is.

Thanks for you help and answers though guys.