cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA Archive task report

ia01
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Just trying to understand FSA Archive task report below, "Total files archived:" is the actual number of files that were archived in EV out of "Total files that matched a rule and were processed successfully: " ?? Sorry it isconfusing for me. Can anyone please explain?

Total number of files matching an archive rule:          135944
Total number of files matching an archive and copy rule:      0
Total number of files matching a do not archive rule:         0
Total number of files matching a delete rule:                 0

Total files that matched a rule and were processed successfully: 135914 (85135.51 MB)
Total files archived:                                               662 (421.80 MB)
Total files excluded by a do not archive rule:                        0 (0.00 MB)

Shortcut Creation
Total number of files matching a 'Create Shortcuts Immediately' rule:  135252
Total number of files matching a 'Create Shortcuts Later' rule:             0
Total number of files matching a 'None. Archive and Delete File' rule:      0
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gmackinn
Level 4
Partner Accredited

From this in your report...

Total files that matched a rule and were processed successfully: 135914 (85135.51 MB)
Total files archived: 662 (421.80 MB)
Total files excluded by a do not archive rule: 0 (0.00 MB)

Shortcut Creation
Total number of files matching a 'Create Shortcuts Immediately' rule: 135252

This tells us the task processed 135914 (85135.51 MB) of files and of those 622 (421.80 MB) were archived and 135252 were placeholder creation. So your space recovered fom the target for this run would be approx 85135.51 MB minus 421.80 MB  and minus the size of a single placeholder times 135252.

So I would guess this is probably the second pass of a new target where a safety copy is in use. The first pass, in the previous completed report would probably show approx 85GB in the total files archived.

Gavin MacKinnon

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

ia01
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks Tony for pointing to this post from https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/fsa-archive-task-report-0

Any idea why I don't see any commens made on this post?

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So out of the number that matched, 135,944, 662 where archived.  This could be because the other 135,252 where previoulsy archived.

Do you have an item count for how many items are in that archive?

ia01
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I just need to know for an FSA target whether the backlog has been completed or not?

So I presume if there is nothing in ArchiveScheduled\InProgress Folder then no backlog left. Correct?

Also for any servers that has some report files in ArchiveScheduled\InProgress folder that means that there is a backlog for that server? Correct? If yes then how can I find out how much of total backlog has been archived so far?

Many Thanks

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Do you have a Completed folder?

This TN says the following:

About File System Archiving task reports

Article:HOWTO49545  |  Created: 2011-04-08  |  Updated: 2012-06-27  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO49545

It may take many runs before the archiving task has completely processed its target volumes. The task creates a report file for each run. The report for the final run has '_FINAL' added to the name to indicate that processing is complete.

Do you have the _FINAL report?

ia01
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes i have the _FINAL report

Nups
Level 4
Employee Certified

Can you please share the final report? I am curious to know the Start Time and End Time.

gmackinn
Level 4
Partner Accredited

From this in your report...

Total files archived: 662 (421.80 MB)
Total files excluded by a do not archive rule: 0 (0.00 MB)

Shortcut Creation
Total number of files matching a 'Create Shortcuts Immediately' rule: 135252

This tells us the task processed 135914 (85135.51 MB) of files and of those 622 (421.80 MB) were archived and 135252 were placeholder creation. So your space recovered fom the target for this run would be approx 85135.51 MB minus 421.80 MB  and minus the size of a single placeholder times 135252.

So I would guess this is probably the second pass of a new target where a safety copy is in use. The first pass, in the previous completed report would probably show approx 85GB in the total files archived.

Gavin MacKinnon

ia01
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks, is there any way to know from SQL table or any other way, how much total files has been archived for a specific FSA Volume? Total size of archived items.

gmackinn
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I do not think you can get it from a SQL query. If you set up EV reporting with FSA collection the built in report "Archive Point Space Usage Summary" has a column for archived data and a column for unarchived data for each archive point which is really usefull but it takes quite a bit of effort to get reporting and the scanning of the targets set up. I would recommend doing it  though as the reports really help you keep on top of EV FSA management. You can work the figures out manually from the summary sections of the completed reports as I have explained above or you can simply open the target in Windows Explorer and right click the folders you are interested in and look at the properties. The difference between the size and size on disk is the amount of archived data you have in that folder (minus the size of the placheholders which is negligable.)

Gavin