cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA Orphaned Shortcuts not automatically removed

Mark_Tkachyk
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have an implementation of EV 9.0.2 FSA where storage expiry is disabled but users can delete items from their archives.   Items are recoverable for 30 days.    I have the archiving policy set to delete archived file when placeholder is deleted and also to delete placeholders for items that have been deleted from the archives.

Delete-on-Delete works.   A user can delete a placeholder and the copy in the archive goes away.     But if I delete an item directly from the archives -- ex. through Archive Explorer, the placeholder stays.   I would have expected the placeholder to get removed when I next run the archiving task but it seems to remain forever and I don't get any errors.     However, if I run fsautility with the -o option that works.   It correctly identifies the orphaned items and removes them.

Is this the expected behaviour?   If you need to run fsautility periodically to clean up the orphans that's OK but it isn't clear from the documentation that that is required.  

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

As far as i know that is an expected behaviour for FSA, may have change since EV9.0.2. For Exchange it would be the same until you enable Shortcut Expiry. The only difference is that you can schedule the shortcut expiry for exchange and the archiving task will deal with that. I supposed you could write a bat file and schedule the FSAUtil command and run it when required.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

As far as i know that is an expected behaviour for FSA, may have change since EV9.0.2. For Exchange it would be the same until you enable Shortcut Expiry. The only difference is that you can schedule the shortcut expiry for exchange and the archiving task will deal with that. I supposed you could write a bat file and schedule the FSAUtil command and run it when required.

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It is normal behaviour as Archive Explorer has no connection to the placeholder service. Also there is no logic for the placeholder service to retrospectively scan to identify and then delete orphaned shortcuts due to AE deletions. You may want to raise this as a feature request.

Shortcut deletion is scheduled via the FSA task properties and can only be run once on a daily basis.

Mark_Tkachyk
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks for pointing out the Shortcut Deletion tab.   I was thinking that it would do the cleanup during the regular archiving task run.   However, it doesn't do the cleanup at the day and time specified on the Shortcut Deletion tab either.   Nothing gets written to the eventlog.   I also ran a dtrace on EvFsaArchivingTask  to see if it would write something when Shortcut Deletion time came around but it didn't log anything.    Maybe I'm tracing the wrong process?    Is it supposed to write an entry in the eventlog when it starts shortcut deletion or is it a completely silent process?

Maverik
Level 6

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH63050

Does this help answer your question?