Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA Permissions on Celerra devices with CIFS and NFS shares

Scott_-_Dimensi
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi guys,

I have a question from a client that I've been unable to answer by researching.

Does anyone know what would happen with folder permissions if a Celerra device is used as the FSA target, but permissions are assigned (and different) on the CIFS share and the NFS share of the same data?

My apologies if this is not specific enough, it's my first post and my first time dealing with FSA archving on non-Windows servers.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Regards,

Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

EV does not support devices that are configured for NFS access - only CIFS.

As EV only supports CIFS, it will only be able to process data that has been synchronized with the NTFS permissions while that CIFS share was registered under the CIFS Server in the AD Domain.

If you have data on the same file system volume which has permissions based on the UNIX model (NFS) EV will certainly fail to process them. The recommendation is to only configure CIFS shares for archiving with FSA whcih are configured with CIFS only - not mixed security style or protocol.

Does that anser the question?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I have re-read this several times, and not sure i'm following what the question is.

What it sounds like is you have mirrored data that has different permissions set? i guess?

Could you give an example as to how its set up (i.e. how the NFS and the CIFS comes in to play in connection with the centera?)

i.e. a mapped drive (like Y:\) to \\myCelerra.mydomain.com\myShare\
So you're targeting something like that, but where does the CIFS and NFS come in to play?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Scott_-_Dimensi
Level 2
Partner Accredited

I'll try to give you more information, but I don't have a lot to go on myself. My understanding is that there is 1 physical folder that is shared using CIFS (eg. \\servername\share) and as an NFS Share. But for some reason they have different permissions. I'm not sure how this works exactly, I'll try find out some more infromation from the client

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

ok so the closest model we can take this from is possibly like

Server1 -> Y:\MyFolder\MySubfolder\ <--- may have UserA, UserB, UserC, UserD
\\Server1\myShare (points to folder above) <--- may have UserA, UserB, UserC

Even though UserD has access to the physical folder, the share only gives access to UserA, UserB, UserC
Is that a possibly close to what we might be talking about?

I know in a Windows File Share \ Folder path scenario thats above, there are registry keys to determine whether to take the Share permissions as well, but in this case, I think you are *only* going to get the permissions that have been set agains whatever it is you are targeting.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Scott_-_Dimensi
Level 2
Partner Accredited

I'm not 100% sure how NFS shares work, but I believe the situation is:

Physical location: Home

CIFS Share: \\servername\home\userdirectory (NTFS permissions)

NFS Share: \\servername\home\userdirectory (UNIX permissions)

Users have been granted access to the CIFS share using their Windows Account and access to the NFS share using their UNIX account.

After lots of reading, it looks like your comment regarding the target is correct in any case. IE. The target permissions will be copied even if there are multiple permissions on those files on different shares, etc.

I'm going to confirm my suspicions in our test lab when I get a chance. Sorry for the confusion. I'll post here if I find something useful.

StephenKing
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Scott,

Have you had a look at the EM/EV best practice guide to see if this answeres your exact questions:

http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h6790-symantec-enterprise-vault-centera-wp.pdf

I would be interested to know what you find out.

StephenKing
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Scott,

What is the status of this request, is it resolved or still an issue?

Don't forget to mark resolved or vote for supplied assistance.

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

EV does not support devices that are configured for NFS access - only CIFS.

As EV only supports CIFS, it will only be able to process data that has been synchronized with the NTFS permissions while that CIFS share was registered under the CIFS Server in the AD Domain.

If you have data on the same file system volume which has permissions based on the UNIX model (NFS) EV will certainly fail to process them. The recommendation is to only configure CIFS shares for archiving with FSA whcih are configured with CIFS only - not mixed security style or protocol.

Does that anser the question?

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

Scott, are you ready to mark this as resolved?