cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA archive deletion after placeholder deletion

AdamM
Level 4

I am testing EV and would like to know the action or task that needs to run to remove items from the archive after a placeholder has been deleted.

Here is what I have set up:

Running Version 8 sp1

On the File Server Properties - Delete Placeholder Tab, "Delete Archive File" is selected (along with a safety folder)

On the Shortcuts tab of the Policy for this folder "Placeholder" and "Delete archived file when placeholder is deleted" is checked (along with "Delete placeholders for items that have been deleted from archive" which works)

I've ran the task to arch the test files,   deleted the placeholders , and run the task again expecting the files to be deleted from the archive, but the archived file still shows up in the archive explorer and is still physically on the store.  I tried running an expiry also but that did not help.

So I know and have been able to successfully test is:

The Site Expiry schedule (or run now) on the site props removes archived items that have met thier retention deadline  (had to clear my IE cache to see imediate results in archive explorer or search.)

"Shorcut  Deletion" tab on the task removed orphaned shortcuts form the file server that have been removed either by storage expiry or manual deletion of archive files.

What triggers the removal of a file from the archive after a placeholder has been deleted from the file server?

Thank you for any help.

Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AdamM
Level 4
A restart of the placeholder service on the file server seemed to fix this.  All is well. Thanks.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Could you check this:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/307719.htm

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

AdamM
Level 4
Thanks Mike.

I went through the article.  The Dtrace did not turn show either of the 2 lines mentioned (I traced a recall, archive run, and shortcut delete)  and the FSUtil reparsepoint query comfirmed that the shortcut should indeed be deleted from the vault.  (01 = Delete from Vault is true. Delete on recall is False). 

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

I am still wondering what process triggers the archive delete after a placeholder delete.  Is that supposed to occur durring a task  run?

Thanks,
Adam

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
It depends really. On what type of storage are your placeholders held? It is not a Celerra by any chance is it?

If on NTFS/NETAPP an event is sent to the EV from NTFS and Netapp in case of a delete. This event is trapped by EV to delete the archived file if DOD/ DOR flag is set in the placeholder.

When a placeholder is deleted the placeholder service/ Netapp proxy server will check the following things before deleting an archived file:-

1. The file server property is delete archived file
2. Current folder is not in the list of safety folders
3. The file was archived with DOD set in the policy

You state in your post the following:-
"Delete Archive File" is selected (along with a safety folder)

So are you saying there that the DOD that you are trying is within this safety folder as if it is then that may be your problem.

With Celerra the process is different but I will not go into that unless you do have that.

AdamM
Level 4

The archived files are not with-in the safety folder.

The archive vault stores are located on a Data Domain 565. 

The files were archived with the DOD settings in place.

Could the Data Domain target have something to do with it??

Maybe I'll test on a vault store local on the EV server.

Thanks,
Adam

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
It could well be that the issue is with data domain. This is a newly supported storage and to be honest I do not know much about it and do not have access to one to do some testing so it may be required for you to raise a case with us for some further investigation. The FSA Product Manager is seen loitering in these here parts so maybe he can answer better than I.

AdamM
Level 4
A restart of the placeholder service on the file server seemed to fix this.  All is well. Thanks.