Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA: moving Files to mountpoints

Manuel_L_
Level 3
Partner

Hi there,

Environment: EV10.0.4CHF3 on Windows Server 2012 + Fileserver (w. FSA-Agent) on Windows Server 2008R2

The LUN of the Fileserver is reaching its max.size of 2TB (MBR, not GPT) and we have to reorganise the Shares -> so we´ve made plans to move the Shares to dedicated LUN´s and present it as mountpoint. So far so good.

As the Shares containing Mixed large files and mixed with Placeholders and Not-Placeholders, I´m unsure how to go on in this case.

Would my plan work:

• add new LUN to Fileserver and add it as Mountpoint
  • rename old share - stop fsa-task
  • add new Mountpoint to EV (archive-point)
  • robocopy files
  • fsautil - move ph
  • start task

I´m trying to access HOWTO37836, but i got an "not existing" -> is the a "hidden" best practise?

What i´ve to overthink? any concerns about my plans?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

plaudone
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you looked at the following document? 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/EV%20Whitepaper%20-%20FSA%20Server%20Consolidation%20(March%202013).pdf

Would always want to use fsautility prior to using robocopy as robocopy may corrupt placeholder files.  

The easiest method would be to backup/restore the data to the new share if it is going to keep the same name.  This way you would not need to migrate any files.

You cannot rename the share before moving as EV will need to have that available to move the PH files from that source.  

You can do the following process. 

- Add new LUN to file server.

- Create new share on new LUN.

- Target new share as volume target in console - no need to create folder under for archive point. 

- Run fsautility -pm from source share to target share.  This will move all of the archived PH files and the archive point to the new location. 

- Run robocopy to move the unarchived data. 

- Run the task against new target.  This will update the DB entries to the new path.  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

plaudone
Level 5

Have you looked at the following document? 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/EV%20Whitepaper%20-%20FSA%20Server%20Consolidation%20(March%202013).pdf

Would always want to use fsautility prior to using robocopy as robocopy may corrupt placeholder files.  

The easiest method would be to backup/restore the data to the new share if it is going to keep the same name.  This way you would not need to migrate any files.

You cannot rename the share before moving as EV will need to have that available to move the PH files from that source.  

You can do the following process. 

- Add new LUN to file server.

- Create new share on new LUN.

- Target new share as volume target in console - no need to create folder under for archive point. 

- Run fsautility -pm from source share to target share.  This will move all of the archived PH files and the archive point to the new location. 

- Run robocopy to move the unarchived data. 

- Run the task against new target.  This will update the DB entries to the new path.  

Manuel_L_
Level 3
Partner

thanks plaudone, but i´ve to use mountpoints and cant use subfolder as mountpoint.

therefore i cant make a share as volume target.

any ideas? should i open a support-case?

plaudone
Level 5

You should be able to target and move the data to the mount point. 

Manuel_L_
Level 3
Partner

whats happening, if i rename the mountpoint after copying ph+files to the same name, as the Foldername was?

shouldnt affect anything after fsa-task is running, as the target is an sharename (\\fileserver\mountpointfolder$) right?

plaudone
Level 5

EV only looks at the path and as long as it can resolve then it should be good.  

Manuel_L_
Level 3
Partner

thank you a lot