01-31-2019 12:15 PM
We set up the following POC environment:
- Veritas EV12.4
- FSA agent running on same machine
- OS is: 2016
- We are accessing one share as a target
- We are accessing one share as a source
We set up one rule, which is migrating the content to the target archive.
However the archiving rule is completed, but noting to archived to the target share.
1. How can we debug / fix this error?
2. What is missing from this setup, should we do any specific thing for W2016?
3. Is there any experience running FSA agent on W2016?
Thanks in advance!
02-01-2019 02:01 AM
Is there an error or just no files archived?
The target server/volume/folder are configured and an archive point was created?
The FSA task should be set to Full on the Reports tab so it will display files that match a rule. If no files show then it is possible no rules were matched. Ensure that the VSA has access for both Share and NTFS permissions.
A dtrace of the EvFsaArchivingTask process will show the files that were scanned and if the matched a rule. https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100038975.html
02-02-2019 02:29 PM
Thanks for the quick answer! Really helpful!
> Is there an error or just no files archived?
No error.Files can:
- archived -> go to the vault store
- deleted -> the task can delete, amd matching the files
but !!! placeholders are NOT created !!!!
>The target server/volume/folder are configured and an archive point was created?
>The FSA task should be set to Full on the Reports tab so it will display files that match a rule.
>If no files show then it is possible no rules were matched. Ensure that the VSA has access for both Share and NTFS permissions.
It is matched.Permissions are ok, because i track the share log, it show sometimes read or write.
Dtrace do esnt show an error.
I did the following:
- Create the file system on file server called drive E:
- Create the Share: E:\Share6 contains Directory1, Directory2
- Add the VSA permissions for the share (E:\Share6) and for the directory E:\Share6
- Add the fileserver to the EV and add volme: E:\ (Hidden volume)
- Add the target location: Vault Express Store. Setting: Safety copies: Remove original items/No remove original immediately
- Add the default volume Policy: E_Policy
- Create folder policy: E_Share6_Policy: create placeholders, Archive: *.*, Create placeholders immediately
do not archive explicit permissions, do not archive wh ich are Dynamic user control
- Add the folder: E:\Share6, create an archive point for this folder
- Assign folder policy : E_Share6_Policy -> E_Share6, Ignore volume policy, Archive folder and subfolders
- Create new FSA Task: FSA_Task_E_Share5
- Assign FSA Task to the volume: FSA_Task_E_Share5 -> E:\
Test Start the task: FSA_Task_E_share5:
Files matching the Archive Rule: 45
The errors are now the following:
Total number of files matching a 'Create Shortcuts Immediately' rule: 45
Total number of files matching a 'Create Shortcuts Later' rule: 0
Total number of files matching a 'None. Archive and Delete File' rule: 0
******** Total errors reported: 10
Some files is good:
ARCHIVE Archived CREATESHORTCUTSIMMEDIATELY ShortcutCreated
Some is not good:
Error making file: \\?\UNC\fsserver.evtest.local\E$\Share6\Directory2\Proba5\bfsvc.exe
a placeholder file because it has extended attributes. Use EVEARemovalUtility to remove the extended attributes.
- For the files which has a placeholder file, an X appears, and cannot open anymore for Windows explorer.
How can we open it transparently? (shortcut remains, which i click and i can open from archive?)
Or i have to use internet shortcuts?
02-04-2019 09:58 AM
I am not sure if you want to archive .exe files, but if so it should only be done for directories that are not going to be used as clicking the .exe will likely give an error before the data can be recalled.
For the extended attribute error you would need to run the utility to remove. https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/115426612-121370873-0/v47429908-121370873
For the recall issue there should be an error in the Enterprise Vault Event Viewer log on the file server. If there is no error then would need to look into issue further with a Support case. Possibly an event in the Application log as well.
Placeholders can be used on Windows 2016. You could also use folder links that are defined in the Volume Policy. This will set a link in every folder and allow the user to go to the archive for that folder and open any of the archived files. This would be used if you wanted to reduce the amount of objects on the file server.