cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA placeholder gets replaced without saving

Warren_Davis_2
Level 3
When I click on a file that has a placeholder and open it and then close it without saving it, the file still gets brought back to the file server replacing the placeholder file with the original file. I thought the behavior was to not replace the file unless I saved it.
4 REPLIES 4

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Warren,

what version? I've a sneaky feeling this is how it works (and was one of a number of reasons we felt FSA still needed development @ v5 SP1). Might be fixed in V6 though (or I might be imagining this).

David
www.UDStech.com

Warren_Davis_2
Level 3
I am on Version 6.0 SP1. When I read the documentation for version 6.0 it states that an open without a save will not replace the shortcut.l

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified
I think you might be mis-interpreting the doc info. When you retrieve an item though the placeholder it is restored to the file system so that the application can open it. Then after x time period (normally 20 minutes after the file has been released) the retrieved item is reverted back to a placeholder. There also has to be disk activity in order for the event to be triggered to revert the item to a placeholder. i.e. a busy production system.

However if you re-save the doc that was retrieved then it obviously has changed and will now have to be re-archived based on your FSA policies.

Cheers

Ray_Downer
Not applicable
If you archive based on accessed date, the file should be retrieved when opened and it should remain until your archive policy requiements are met again. This happens since the accessed time stamp is updated anytime a file is opened. A change to the file is not required to update the accessed time stamp.