Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA restore all files, switches?

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello all,

I am not an FSA expert.We're on EV90SP2

I am asked to restore all items in some FSA archives to the original fileserver.

I used this command line initially: FSAUtility -t -s \\sever\share

That restores most, but not all. In the logfile, I see 'file exists'. I believe this is because a placeholder exists?

I then tried FSAUtility -t -s \\server\share -l 0, which showed that some file are being restored.

I believe that to restore all files regardless of the existance of a placeholder should be :

FSAUtility -t -s \\server\share -f

Am I correct in assuming that the -f switch will restore all items regardless of the presence of a placeholder, and that existing placeholders will be replaced by the original files?

The aim is to restore the content of the archives, so they can be moved from the current-fileserver to a NetApp, which will NOT be archived.

Thanks, Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

As I thought it might -- the file on disk was overwritten by the contents of the file from the archive.

Cure?

Do an archiving run 'first' to get everything policy flipped back to placeholder.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I just tried that on one of my shares, and it worked.

I had a mixture of placeholders, regular files and internet-links.  

They all behaved correctly.

The only issue I can see with the -f option is that if the file that exists is newer than the archived item, it might get overwritten.

eg

fileX -> contents = ABC123

FileX gets archived and turned in to a placeholder

User double clicks on it, and recalls the file.

User updates the contents and it is now DEF345

You run the FSAUTILITY command... 

Not sure what will happen with that.  Can try it in a minute or 5.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

As I thought it might -- the file on disk was overwritten by the contents of the file from the archive.

Cure?

Do an archiving run 'first' to get everything policy flipped back to placeholder.

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

when using -f, if an archived file was retrieved and modified before being re-archived as an additional version, there will be content loss.

so if for any reason, the entire Archive needs to be retrieved, if would be advisable to run  the Archiving task first so that any new changes are updated in the archive

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thanks all!

Regards. Gertjan

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You are welcome.