cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA skipping thousands of files

nils35
Level 4

Hi,

Can someone please help me investigate why FSA is skipping thousands of files? If I look at one of the folders, it has been archving some .doc files but not others. I have checked that the ntfs permissions are the same on all files in the folder. All files are also old enough. Some of the skipped files are even older than the archived ones.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have you checked the FSA archiving report to see if it states why it isn't archiving the files - it's in the Enterprise Vault\Reports directory.

You may also want to run a Dtrace during archiving for a few minutes to determine why it is skipping the files.

nils35
Level 4

Thanks for your reply. The archiving report does not list any of the skipped files, only the archived files. I will try running a dtrace and see if that can tell me anything.

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello nils35,

What settings do you have in the FSA volume/folder policy? Open the FSA volume/folder policy > Archiving Rules tab. What rules are applied? If the task is archiving just office files, that's one of the default rules in the policy (Office Files). Take a look and see if this is case, if so, create a new rule and add other file extensions and run the FSA archiving task again.

I hope this helps.

nils35
Level 4

Hi,

What I meant was that it is archiving some .doc files, but skipping other .doc files, in the same folder. Here are examples of two files from the same folder. The first one was archived while the second one was skipped:

01.06.2007  14:50          (29 696) CPP FIXTURES 2002-2007.doc

05.03.2007  16:30            25 600 INVOICE.doc

The policy is set to Last modifed time is older than 2 years.

nils35
Level 4

Hi,

I have just found that the files are being archived by EV, but it just looks like they are not because they are not turned into placeholders/shortcuts. I am not sure why not. I have checked that all partitions are backed up by checking the archive attribute to be clear on all files. I have opened a case with Symantec support and hopefully they will help figure it out.

Any comments here are also very welcome :)

nils35
Level 4

Hello,

The files are now being turned into placeholders again, but its happening very slowly. It seems like the task is only turning one file per folder into a placeholder. Is there any way I can force it to convert all files into placeholders in one run? I have tried running the task manually and chose only to create shortcuts.

nils35
Level 4

I have tested that the following command converts all archvied files in a folder into placeholders again:

FSAUtility -c -f -s UNC_path

Are there any side effects of running this command against thousands of files?

Thanks.