cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSAUtility - Restore all Files and Replace Placeholders

stilesinfotech
Level 2

We archived all files over 24 months old, probably close to 3 years ago.

We are wanting to bulk restore all of our archived file shares, and replace the placeholder.

The problem with using      FSAUtility.exe -t -s       is that for every single file, you'll see a "File Exist" in the logs.

Now, adding the -f switch will allow it to replace the placeholder with the file from the archive, but if the original file has been modified (Which I'm guessing many have given the length of time since the archive task has ran), the archived copy will replace it.

I'm guessing I should run the Archiving task again, and then run the FSAUtility.exe -t -s ? Is there anything else I need to adjust with the policy as far as last modified dates, etc?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The File Exist, which you see is it the placeholder or normal file? If its a placeholder then EV task must have re-archived/processed with any changes which users have made. If its shows normal file icon then EV task has not re-processed file for archiving, in this case you may loose some data/changes for that file.

You can just run the archiving task to re-process those files and then try FSA Utility to restore.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The File Exist, which you see is it the placeholder or normal file? If its a placeholder then EV task must have re-archived/processed with any changes which users have made. If its shows normal file icon then EV task has not re-processed file for archiving, in this case you may loose some data/changes for that file.

You can just run the archiving task to re-process those files and then try FSA Utility to restore.

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

If you made change to policy to archive files as per creation date it will help. If you restore file but you want to archvie on next day then as per creation date policy it will archive.

stilesinfotech
Level 2

"File Exists" is when it finds the Placeholder, which is obviously the same file name as the original file.

So in the case of these "File Exists" errors in the log, I shouldn't lose any data when using the -f switch if the file icon is still the placeholder?

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Exactly, thats correct. If the file icon shows as placeholder icon then the task has re-processed the latest version of the document.

John_Santana
Level 6

Yes please,

I wonder if it can be done as well.

it would be great if anyone here can also share the script to do the EV archived restoration for bulk processing which involves more than 2 TB of data.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Is anything else needed with this issue?

Working for cloudficient.com