Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSAUtility -a questions

vanadasd
Level 4
Partner

Hello Everyone!

We are facing an issue with duplicate archives in our environment.  I was thinking that the FSAUtility -a option might be able to help us out.  The documentation says:

When FSAUtility recreates an archive point, it examines the relevant records in the Directory database to determine which archive is associated with the folder path. If more than one archive is associated with the folder path, FSAUtility does as follows:

• It assigns the archive ID of the oldest non-empty archive to the archive point.

After performing this kind of operation, would it be safe for me to remove other archives that reference the same location?

Thanks for the help!

Adam

2 REPLIES 2

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

do the archives you're considering duplicates have items in them?

vanadasd
Level 4
Partner

Correct, both archives have items.  Looking at both archives in the web console, I can see that they sometimes have different items as well.

What I have tried doing is using FSAUtility to recall all of the placeholders in the directory, and then deleting one or all of the current archives.  I've been able to successfully remove the duplicate archives, but I'm having difficulties getting the files to re-archive. In one case with a test archive, I have been unable to re-archive the files after unarchiving the files and removing all of the archives from the EV console.

My end-goal is simply to remove duplicate archives, I don't care too much how I get there.  I thought that the FSAUtility -a command might help speed up the process somehow and I was curious how it worked.

If anybody knows of a better process to consolidate the duplicate archives or can offer any ideas why the files aren't re-archiving using the method I've outlined above, I'd like to hear about it.

Thank you!