cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSAUtility mass recall - File already exists

Rem_y
Level 4

Morning all, can someone sanity check the following please?

Scenario:

I aim to recall all Files from EV FSA as follows:

fsautility -t -s \\path\path\path -recurse

The restore begins, builds, and tells me I have 50k files Queued For Restore. All fine up to this point. The XML report file then generates, indicating a large number of File Exists entries. I paste these results into an Excel and the File Exists entries total about 43k

So I can see a discrepency between the number of items that are Queued for Restore and the number of items in that XML that are coming back as File Exists 

My question is - what does this mean?

Do I understand correctly that File Exists means EV confronted a Placeholder with the same name, OR an original file with the same name when it initiated the restore?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

yes and that is done with the -f option in fsautility.

for reference from the Utilities.pdf document:

-f forces FSAUtility to restore the files when placeholders or files of the same
name already exist. The utility first deletes the existing placeholders or files and
then restores the files.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AndrewB

"File Exists" is when it finds the Placeholder (which is the same file name as the original file)

Rem_y
Level 4

So this is expected behaviour? If I put a File called FileA.doc in a folder and archive it, then a placeholder gets left in its place. Are you saying I have to explicitly tell EV to overwrite the placeholder if it's restoring the archived file back to the original location?

AndrewB

yes and that is done with the -f option in fsautility.

for reference from the Utilities.pdf document:

-f forces FSAUtility to restore the files when placeholders or files of the same
name already exist. The utility first deletes the existing placeholders or files and
then restores the files.

Rem_y
Level 4

Thank you for clarifying Andrew. Merci bien