cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSAUtility restores to alt location but not original?

EVSpinner
Level 5

Hi everyone, I've got a curious scenario at the moment. I am trying to do a file restore - easy enough - fsautility -t -s \\specify path here

When the command initites, it builds a list of files to restore, says 'File restore operation has started' and 'XML file generated'

The XML file shows folders/files being walked, but not every single 'Last File Processed' is populated

You go to the source path, and the shortcuts remain - no restores

However, if you add a destination to the command and pipe the restore to a seperate folder/destination, the files restore?

The files that have been archived are for the telephony recording system RedBox, so the files are proprietary - called .frame files

EV doesn't seem to have had any trouble archiving them, but when you try and doubleclick restore, or restore from Archive Explorer the retore fails with 'Can't open file - make sure disk is in the drive' 

But like I said, FSAUtility restore to an alternative location works

Does anyone have any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

plaudone
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

The alternate location would work as there are no files to overwrite and the -f switch would not be needed. The -f switch would be need to overwrite the PH files.  

Also, if unable to get the file out of the archive from the file server then that could be another issue.  Possibly the filter driver and service are not communicating properly.  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i searched for the error you're getting about "make sure disk is in the drive" and came across some old posts. can you have a look through them and see if there's anything that might help?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/file-retrieval-problem

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/certain-archived-file-types-will-not-open

EVSpinner
Level 5

Hi Andrew, thanks for your reply. I'm less concerned about the 'Can't open file - make sure disk is in the drive' message because this is a propietary file format which will not have a valid default program set to open it

What I'm most confused about is why I can restore to any alternative location I specify in the -d switch, but not back to the original location

I sense an escalation to symantec on the horizon.....

plaudone
Level 5

Hi EVSpinner,

When you run the restore to the original location are you using the -f switch?  This will overwrite existing files whether they are shortcuts or full files.  

A Dtrace of FSAUtility may also show some additional information.  

EVSpinner
Level 5

Not -f but -t -s which I understood to be restore all items (-t) in specific path (s)

-f - Interesting idea, but doesn't explain the behaviour. Did lots of DTrace FSAutility, FsaArchMgr but omes back clean - no errors

Logging with Symantec,and will post back solution for future reference

plaudone
Level 5

The alternate location would work as there are no files to overwrite and the -f switch would not be needed. The -f switch would be need to overwrite the PH files.  

Also, if unable to get the file out of the archive from the file server then that could be another issue.  Possibly the filter driver and service are not communicating properly.  

EVSpinner
Level 5

Nailed it Plaudone, nice one

-f is the solution

cheers

plaudone
Level 5

Great!  Glad that it is resolved.