cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSAutility - Need help!

Mike_P
Level 4
I'm trying to use FSAutility but it seems to be flaky.

I've tried the -d command to move the items to a different location, and also tried it without the -d command, and it doesn't work either way.

Here's the command I use: fsautility -t -s \\server1\path -d \\server2\path

I also used this command to try and have it just restore to it's original location: fsautility -t -s \\server1\path

Either way, it only ends up restoring about 40,000 files even though there are about 80,000 placeholders. When I try to open some of the files that did not restore via fsautility, they come up just fine. So that means these files are definately in the archive, but they are not being restored by the fsautility command.

I've tried this with about 5 different folders. Most of the folders are around 80,000 - 100,000 items. 1 folder got close, only missing about 1,000 items, but that's still too many. In the command prompt, I see that it says the restore process reached 100% and that a log has been created. There are no errors in the log.

Does fsautility have problems when trying to restore a lot of items? Is there a way that I can make fsautility more reliable, so that it restores every placeholder?

I really do need to bring these items out of the archive and back to their original state, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

Maverik
Level 6
You really need to probably dtrace fsautility whilst the migration is occurring to capture what the precise failure is.  You will then need to log a call with Symantec Support to be honest.

I would advise when moving alot of items at present to recall the data move and re-archive.  There are certain reg keys like bypassrecalllimit and another to stop the items being rearchived (technotes available on support site).   Use something like a virus scan to pull back all the data, however anything that actually accesses the files will do.

FSAUtility seems to work fine on occasions and then in other environments fails, if the slightest thing is not as it expects. 

payoun
Level 4
which version are you using ? the one include in the V7 or V7.5 ?. I had the same problem when using the fsautility in the V7, but no chance to make it work to move placeholder . once i have upgarded i am using it without any problems. i have already move thousands of placeholders with the tool.

Peter

Mike_P
Level 4
Aha! I am on version 7 instead of 7.5

I will upgrade and try again. Thanks for your post, both of you!