cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI: MAPI/RPC failures EV 2007 SP4 Exchange 2003 SP2

bobby_hilliard
Level 5
I was doing some manual archiving and subsequent disabling of some old accounts. 

After finishing a particular archive run, I took a short break and then returned to disable the mailbox. It hung! I could still access archives from Outlook and even restore them. But, I could not enable or disable mailboxes in EV. After a timeout, the following appeared in the EV log:

Event 3140
Category: Agent Client Broker
"An error occurred whilst disabling archiving for the mailbox /ou=x/ou=... Error: -x80040115". (This is a MAPI error MAPI_E_NETWORK_ERROR).

I tried firing up Outlook on the EV server and it failed to be able to contact Exchange. I even tried browsing to an interal IIS site on the Exchange server (port 80) and it hung too!!! I so wanted to go accuse with the network guys but the two servers are on the same subnet and network connectivity (IP) was working fine between them. - But why the port 80 problem to the Exchange server? -.

I tried restarting EV services. No change. When I tried and restart the archiving task...it hung in a pending state. And that pretty much wound it up. I restarted the server and all was okay. The port 80 issue was because the two IIS sites were requiring authentication but the credentials prompt would never show up.

Not really sure why this happened, as I've been doing a lot of manual archiving and disabling over the last couple of weeks, but I guess it was time to do a server restart! 

Just passing this along in hopes it saves someone else some time.

1 REPLY 1

Maverik
Level 6
Always good to have info like this.

Thanks.