cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facing issues with collections on EV server.

Danish_A
Level 4

Dear's,

We have EV for mailbox archiving and have enabled collections on closed partitions for the ease of backup which is working fine.

I had an old closed partition on which collections were not enabled so recently I enabled the collections and found that collections were working fine on it but from last one week i am observing that daily it is collecting only 72 items with 2 files , I did increased the collection time from 15 minutes to 45 minutes but still its collecting only 72 items with 2 files.

What could be the reason that it shows same no. of items getting everyday ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Probably because there isn't that much to be collected?
Do you have any reg keys in HKLM\SOFTWARE\WO6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Storage that would be limiting the collection files?
By default EV goes by age of the items and limits the cab to a size (10MB by default), so that could be 100 items, it could be 20 items etc

Also items have to have the archive bit removed before be eligible to be collected.
If you wanted to see what its doing, you could dtrace the StorageFileWatch process and see what its doing to collect those items, and why it may be ignoring some
If the items are too big, then the items won't be collected, if they're too young they won't be collected, if they arent considered as being backed up, they won't be collected.

If you have folders with only one item, they won't be collected etc

also 15 minutes even 45 minutes isn't a long time for your collections process to run, you need to make sure that you have enough time assigned to it especially when you do things like exports to pst through the vac or through discovery accelerator or vault cache downloads or regular user downloads.
Because it extracts the item from the CAB file to an ARCHDVS file that should be deleted by EV, but if the collections process doesn't run properly then those items will accumulate and take up drive space

And if its a closed partition where the data isnt expected to change all that quickly then there should be no harm in having the collections process run for longer than 15 minutes etc

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Probably because there isn't that much to be collected?
Do you have any reg keys in HKLM\SOFTWARE\WO6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Storage that would be limiting the collection files?
By default EV goes by age of the items and limits the cab to a size (10MB by default), so that could be 100 items, it could be 20 items etc

Also items have to have the archive bit removed before be eligible to be collected.
If you wanted to see what its doing, you could dtrace the StorageFileWatch process and see what its doing to collect those items, and why it may be ignoring some
If the items are too big, then the items won't be collected, if they're too young they won't be collected, if they arent considered as being backed up, they won't be collected.

If you have folders with only one item, they won't be collected etc

also 15 minutes even 45 minutes isn't a long time for your collections process to run, you need to make sure that you have enough time assigned to it especially when you do things like exports to pst through the vac or through discovery accelerator or vault cache downloads or regular user downloads.
Because it extracts the item from the CAB file to an ARCHDVS file that should be deleted by EV, but if the collections process doesn't run properly then those items will accumulate and take up drive space

And if its a closed partition where the data isnt expected to change all that quickly then there should be no harm in having the collections process run for longer than 15 minutes etc

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Danish_A
Level 4

Then I would change the age of the items to be collected so that the collections could finish early.

However, I am planning to move this partition on which collection is running to different drive on the same server, will there be any issue if I move this partition while the files are still collected on the partition ?

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I don't understand what you mean by

Then I would change the age of the items to be collected so that the collections could finish early.

The collection process will run during the schedule time and will finish when it has gone through all the folders or time runs out.

You will want to make sure that when you copy the data to the new partition that collections doesn't run while you are doing the copy or you could have mismatched partitions.  You could change the age at which items are collected to like 10 years and then when you have moved the partition change it back to 10 days or whatever you had before.

Danish_A
Level 4

I mean to say regarding  "Then I would change the age of the items to be collected so that the collections could finish early." is that presently I am collecting files older than 30 days whcih I would change to 10 days .

And thanks for the explanation regarding moving partitions it's all clear to me now.