cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failing reporting service can be a problem to migrate

DavidAlvarez
Level 4

Hi,

I have a customer with reporting services for EV 11. They want to migrate to 14.2. This reporting services seems to be in a failing state, I don't know the details but I think is something involved to the SQL server for this reporting service. I think there are 2 options, try to fix it before migrating. Or uninstall it and install it when we are at 14.2. I prefer this last solution as the reports from the version 11 to the version 14.2 have improved a lot, so maybe a reporting service is not needed anymore.

My question is, what do I have to take in consideration to uninstall it?

Thanks.

Kind Regards,

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello David,

I have done several upgrades of EV where reporting was installed, without actually updating reporting itself.

If later on you want to use reporting, there are some possible issues. One of which is that some DLL's mismatch, causing reporting to not work anymore. After that experience, I choose to uninstall reporting, upgrade EV, install reporting. That made sure it kept working. 

If you had an issue with the upgrade 'update database', I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the reporting part. I only had issues if the upgrade program (be it dbupgrader.exe or the directory/storage service) could not get exclusive acces, or if the collation between server and DB was wrong. I have not heard or experienced reporting caused an issue, it might have been a one-off unlucky event.

To get back to your question, uninstall the reporting part from the reporting server, and you're good to go.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

GertjanA

Hello David,

As reporting using SQL Reporting Services is not adding anything into the directory database, you can simply uninstall it from the SRSS server.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi GertjanA,

Thanks for your reply. And are there any manual steps in the case the installation is corrupted and I can't perform an "automatic" uninstall? If I don't remember wrong I think I had a problem during a migration in the past due to a reporting service not being properly uninstalled. I mean that when I performed the migration there wasn't any reporting service but they had it in the past, I didn't perform the uninstallation so I don't know what they really did. I guess we had a problem during the "Upgrading Databases step". An error occurred during the SQL script execution and I had to open a support case to delete some references in SQL databases before upgrading the databases.

Kind Regards,

David

GertjanA

Hello David,

I have done several upgrades of EV where reporting was installed, without actually updating reporting itself.

If later on you want to use reporting, there are some possible issues. One of which is that some DLL's mismatch, causing reporting to not work anymore. After that experience, I choose to uninstall reporting, upgrade EV, install reporting. That made sure it kept working. 

If you had an issue with the upgrade 'update database', I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the reporting part. I only had issues if the upgrade program (be it dbupgrader.exe or the directory/storage service) could not get exclusive acces, or if the collation between server and DB was wrong. I have not heard or experienced reporting caused an issue, it might have been a one-off unlucky event.

To get back to your question, uninstall the reporting part from the reporting server, and you're good to go.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi GertjanA,

Yes, this is my preferred method too. Thanks.

The problem is that I can't know what does a failing state means until the first day of migration.I will cross my fingers hoping for a smooth uninstallation.

Kind Regards,

David

Hi GertjanA,

Finally during the migration I checked that the reporting service wasn't installed. But when I tried to export the migration package with the Migration wizard the report export fails.

06/07/2022 15:40:46 Task "Export Report Files" Failed
06/07/2022 15:40:46 Writing report documents to export package started
06/07/2022 15:40:48 Server Details report creation started
06/07/2022 15:40:50 Created Server details report.
06/07/2022 15:40:51 Report image file failed_sm.gif written to package
06/07/2022 15:40:51 Report image file info_sm.gif written to package
06/07/2022 15:40:51 Report image file passed_sm.gif written to package
06/07/2022 15:40:51 Report image file Veritas_White_150x30.png written to package
06/07/2022 15:40:51 Report image file warning_sm.gif written to package
06/07/2022 15:40:51 Documents for report ExportReport_20220706T1536.html written to package
06/07/2022 15:40:51 Write Server Settings Migration Wizard log file to export package
06/07/2022 15:40:51 Export server failed

I tried to install the reporting service to uninstall it properly but I can't install it when I try it I get the error:

Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services has not been detected, or an unsupported version is present. For the latest information on the supported versions of SQL Reporting Services, see the Enterprise Vault Compatibility Charts at http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38537

I'm not prompted to introduce a SQL server, I guess it's checking the SQL with EV database.

Any ideas?

Kind Regards,

David