cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failover / Disaster Recovery

CruiseControl
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I have 10 EV servers (5 running Mailbox archiving, and 1 for Journal Archiving, 3 FSA, and 1 SP Archiving).  I am configuring N+1 building blocks for recovering EV at our failover site should the need ever arise.  In planning, I'm just trying to determine if it would be best to have a 1 to 1 server ratio at the failover site for the purpose of DR, or if I can get away less, and just combine archiving tasks on less servers.  Each of the EV servers run their own Storage and Directory service at the primary site.  The EV servers are not clustered.  We do not have a means for "automatic" failover.  Just want to have EV servers that are "standing by" at the failover site just in case we ever have a disaster and need to failover.  This would be a "data only" recover method as outlined in the Admin guide.  We do have the EV data, and Indexes replicating to the failover site, as well as all of the EV SQL databases. 

Does anyone know if it would be recommended and/or necessary for me to half to stand up 10 EV servers (1 to 1 ratio) for the failover site?  Or, can I get away with say 2-4 EV servers with the understanding that we would be operating with less then optimal performance, but still have the ability to bring EV online?

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

It all really depends on what you find acceptable when running in DR. If you are ok with performing only Journal Archiving during the DR, and keep the other in read-only, you should be fine having lesser amount of EV servers. There is then the need to make sure the index and storage locations are adjusted to allow reading from lesser servers (involves editing SQL, to change the locations connected to the specific servers). I would go for 4 on the DR side. 1 Journal, 1 MBX, 1 FSA, 1 SP archiving server. Obviously, the 1 MBX will host the 4 prod MBX servers, and the 1 FSA will host the 3 FSA prod servers, but I assume you understand. If however, you need to be able to run a week in DR, and need to be able to archive with the same rate you did when in prod, then it would be a 1 to 1 relationship. I'm sure a partner can assist in determining the minimum requirement, to make sure you have DR capabilities.

Regards. Gertjan

CruiseControl
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thank you GertjanA!