cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Server Change Without Addressing EV Files

SBMTMiller
Level 4

Hello recently migrated data from a file server that unknowingly contained FSA EV files. We created a CIS share using the same name as the old file server. We now have the old server and the new CIS share up, the old file server with a different name. We have found that some files on the old server were archived with EV10 and these files were not copied over during the ROBO copy run. Now I am having to manually copy the missed files. 

1. What can we do to get the shortcuts moved over to the new CIS share or do I have to manually copy over the files that were not copied? I have already started to manually copy over files using a folder compare program. Its copying the actual file not the shortcuts. yes its a mess now. 

2. What can I do with the old server name in the EVadmin console which is the new CIS share name? Everytime I try to click on the server name it locks up the admin console. I was able to put the new name of the old server in.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi, 

The -pm option will not work as it attempts to migrate the placeholders and archive point from source to destination. The following should be used to restore the items out of the archive. I had left out the -t in the last post. 

FSAUtility -t -s \\server\e$\docs\projectabc -d \\server\docs\projectabc -r -l 0

Regards,

Patrick 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

Hi SBMTMiller,

As long as the target is still in the console you can run an FSAUtility command to restore the data to the new location. 

FSAUtility -t -s \\old_server_name\Volume_target\Folder_target -d \\target_server_name\share\folder

This should restore all of the latest versions of the files to the destination location and will restore all sub-folder content as well.  

Regards,

Patrick 

The old target was \\servername with c: and e: mapped in EV

The new CIS share is \\servername w/o the c: & e. If you UNC to servername, its going to the new CIS share now.

Effectively the old server no longer exists in EV because there are no drive letters. And the old file server name is now the new CIS share name.  

Hi,

The command is only looking in the database.  As long as the old server and volume targets are present in EV, and the archives have not been deleted, the command can restore the archived data to any destination path.  

If the old target and volumes have been removed from EV then more work would be required to retrieve the data out of the archives.  It may require a Support case if the targets cannot be added back to the configuration.  

Regards,

Patrick 

I dont understand how to write the command. Source and destination are the same names with just the drive letter missing on destination.

-s \\server\e$\docs\projectabc

-d \\server\docs\projectabc

Hi,

You can execute the command like this to run in report mode and logging enabled. 

FSAUtility -s \\server\e$\docs\projectabc -d \\server\docs\projectabc -r -l 0

As long as docs is a share it should be able to process the restore.  The log file will be in the Install_path\Enterprise Vault\Reports\FSAUtlity folder. 

Regards,

Patrick 

Reporting doesnt work, "place holder migration does not support report mode". I think I have the paths right now but when I try the -pm command <paths> it ultimately fails with "there are no archives under the source path that can be migrated." Any other ideas? Thanks for the help.     

Hi, 

The -pm option will not work as it attempts to migrate the placeholders and archive point from source to destination. The following should be used to restore the items out of the archive. I had left out the -t in the last post. 

FSAUtility -t -s \\server\e$\docs\projectabc -d \\server\docs\projectabc -r -l 0

Regards,

Patrick 

Is there a way to overwrite the same file names in destination? The archived files are there as 0kb. It wont overwrite them. If I delete the 0kb files it will populate the folder with the correct files.  

You can add -f to the command and it will ovewrite existing files.  This could cause partial data loss if the file was recalled and modified but not re-archived.  The archived copy would not have the recent modifications. 

Regards,

Patrick