cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File System Archiving Migrate Archive

Scott_Riser
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Can FSAUtility be used to migrate File System Archives from one Enterprise Vault system to another and if so, what's the syntax for doing it? I know it can be used to move the Placeholders but what if I want to keep the placeholders in the same place and move only the archived data? The methodology I had in mind was migrating the File System Archiving Tasks to the new system. Point the FSA Tasks to new storage and then run FSAUtility to move the files to the same location File Server but the new archive.
4 REPLIES 4

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner
Short answer is no.

You will need to restore back to the File Server so everything is a full item on the File Servers. The point the new EV server at it and archive like mad.

You could could do it in stages, as in unarchive Volume A, but leave Volumes B and C on the legacy EV. The point new EV at Volume A and archive it. Then repeat for Volume B and so on.

Scott_Riser
Level 4
Partner Accredited
I have 5 TB of data with failing Indexes that are at 7.5 and need to be elevated to 8.0 to improve performance; that methodology would take far too long. I'm moving to new hardware as well and picking up the data and reattaching it to the new system gains me nothing except the new systems, the stores and Indexes remain the same structure leaving me with broken Indexes and no OSIS for the already archived 5 TB of data.

The FSAUtility states that it can be used to move Placeholder files and that it will move the corresponding archived item, even to a new Vault Store; please explain the long answer as to why there's absolutely no way to do it.

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

IPerhaps I misunderstood originally...f you have an entirely new EV Site, you cannot tell it to pick up your old systems placeholders, it simply wont do it.

From your second reply, it seems you are wanting to upgrade EV and not move to a new system in the sense I understood. And by System I might a different EV Site.

In which case....
You could simply do a data only DR of EV. Leaving the file server alone. And then FSAUtil the place holders or a backup restore method.

Before I start waffling on if you could clarify exactly what you are trying to achieve, and I will try to point my finger in the right direction, or at least close to it. Also will the new File Server pick up the old file servers name and be a replica to start with?

Switch for FSAUtil move is something like
FSAUtility -m -s <SOURCE UNC PATH HERE> -d <TARGET UNC PATH HERE>

add a -l for logging use a /? for help etc

Hopefully I am helping not hindering?

Scott_Riser
Level 4
Partner Accredited
FSAUtility -m does seem to be the most effective way to move the data but how do I ensure that it goes to a new Vault Store and does it retain the folder structure? Could I use it twice to move the placeholders back (as long as they're not in the root)?

We can't perform DR because the backups can't handle the current Vault Store sizes which is one of the stimuli for migrating to a new server.