cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File server archive permissions

ianG
Level 5

Hi folks

How do I go about granting additional users access to file server archives? Specifically for archives whose NTFS targets dont exist any more..

I know typically, you'd do so via NTFS permissions on the target itself, and let it syncronise to the archive - but what to do with the archive is an old one, and the target root doesnt exist any more?

Granting at the archive level, via the admin console, isnt enough, and the users just get a 'Failed to perform search request', but granting the NTFS permissions as above arent possible, as the target doesnt exist...

Are there any tools to retroactively add permissions to file archives in this manner?

(ev 8.0.4 on win2k8, archiving from a w2k8 ntfs file cluster)

2 REPLIES 2

Nups
Level 4
Employee Certified

Hi Ian,

If I understand the scenario here only the target root is missing and I assume that the folders(of which the archive you see in EV) still the same. This should syncronise the permission without any issues.

Have a look at the technote below and let me know if that helps

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO57803

If that doesnt resolve the issue I think the problem lies in  'Failed to perform search request' error which you get.

ianG
Level 5

Its a set of approx 20 archives. These archives correspond with various users' 'home directories'. Unfortunately, some have since retired, and had their home dirs purged (complete structure, including archive point gone) - but their archives remain

Since these have been purged, it doesnt look like theres any way for a normal syncronization to apply any new permissions to those archives(?)

So Im just wondering if theres any other way to grant access to these archives, to users who never had access before?

My alternative option, is probably going to be exporting the archive to a new location, via fsautility. But again, Ive had issues with it in the past if the source directory isnt found..