cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File server archive

Silvershare
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Dear All We enabled one volume for file server archive and under that we created one folder and its subfolder as archivepoints, and we run the file archiving task and we could archive all the files under that folder , Now after that we could not see the folder under the  Target volume,, but it can be viewed under the   Archive-File system- please advise is it a default behaviour am attaching the screenshots

Please advise

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

Ok, if the Archiving Task is processing the folder content under that Volume target it means that the Archive Point must still exist, which you posted the screen shot confirming.

If the Folder target is not shown in the VAC it means that it lost it's setting as a rootFolder. This is not a problem as long as the Archive Point still exists. The reason for having a Folder target defined in the VAC, which will define that folder as a rootFolder is so that you can assign a different Archiving Policy than the Volume target, i.e. a Folder Policy instead of a Volume Policy. By adding different Folder targets in the VAC you would have the ability to use diferent Folder Policies.

If you feel you must have that Folder target defined in the VAC you can re-enter the Folder as a target, but make sure you do not chose the option to create a new Archive Point - select the last option do not create an Archive Point. This is very important as otherwise you will end up with a duplicate Archive. 

I hope this information helps

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Silvershare
Level 4

Please clarify this

thank you

Silvershare
Level 4

wonder why nobody have an answer???

ianG
Level 5

does not sound like default behaviour.. archiving targets should not get removed from the GUI unless you do so yourself

Silvershare
Level 4

but EV is doing the archiving on the archivepoint

ianG
Level 5

the archive point is still there, but the target folder selection is not? and in this arrangement, new files are still being archived?

Silvershare
Level 4

is there any harm running like this ? or what i have to do to fix this issue?

Darren_Locke
Level 6
Employee

No - that archiving targets should not be removed from the UI. I would suggest you do a hard refresh in the VAC and see what happens. THe second screenshot you show is of a archive not a target. Those will appear once you've started archiving, so that is normal.

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

Can you right-click the Volume target and select Archive Points option then expand until you see the enumeration of the folder you are expecting to see, then send us a screen dump of what it looks like.

This would show the Archive Points currently under that Volume target.

If you have successfully added a Folder target under the Volume, there would be a record for it in the database. If you are certain that you haven't accidently deleted the Folder target from the VAC, then we would have to consider the possibility that some sort of exception may have occurred during Archiving. A problem could have occurred if you have copied the Folders from another file system that was previously also configured for Archiving.

Silvershare
Level 4

We are pretty sure we didnt delete the folder target , and when we run the archive the particular folder, is getting archived as well, how we can bring that back ?

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

Ok, if the Archiving Task is processing the folder content under that Volume target it means that the Archive Point must still exist, which you posted the screen shot confirming.

If the Folder target is not shown in the VAC it means that it lost it's setting as a rootFolder. This is not a problem as long as the Archive Point still exists. The reason for having a Folder target defined in the VAC, which will define that folder as a rootFolder is so that you can assign a different Archiving Policy than the Volume target, i.e. a Folder Policy instead of a Volume Policy. By adding different Folder targets in the VAC you would have the ability to use diferent Folder Policies.

If you feel you must have that Folder target defined in the VAC you can re-enter the Folder as a target, but make sure you do not chose the option to create a new Archive Point - select the last option do not create an Archive Point. This is very important as otherwise you will end up with a duplicate Archive. 

I hope this information helps

Silvershare
Level 4

Thank you Rob