Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerprint Database Backup

r3v0ke
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello again,

I getting an error saying that my Fingerprint database is not backep up, but it is!

Actually the problem is when it checks if the database is backep up or not, the last check was 7 days ago, an even if I re-run the checks, it stays stucked on the last time and date of 7 days ago...

Here is a printscreen

fingerprint.png

Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

steve_ev
Level 3

Looking at the backup status in your screenshot, it looks like you're backing up the databases and logs on different days (e.g. MailArchiving DB on 16/04, log on 17/04).  This may account for the inconsistencies you're getting in the EV alerts.

So I'd check your backup job and make sure you backup the database and logs as part of the same backup.  The same goes for SQL maintenance tasks, I have seperate tasks as part of the same job.

Truncate the logs down manually also to give the backup software a chance to keep the transaction logs down to a decent size.  If the EV databases are on SQL 2008 and later, the easiest way is to change the recovery mode to simple, then run DBCC SHRINFILE against the log file, then set it back to full.  If SQL 2005 and earlier, run a BACKUP LOG WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY, then DBCC SHRINKFILE.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

The EV System Status screen is getting this information directly from SQL.

Take a look at these links for queries that get this information more directly, and it'll mean something to a SQL DBA, and perhaps help you resolve the issue:

http://havardkristiansen.com/?p=96

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/1601/script-to-retrieve-sql-server-database-backup-history-and...

Working for cloudficient.com

r3v0ke
Level 4
Partner Accredited

But the EV system isn't updating... It says that the last run was 4/10, when actually I ran one today....

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

What do the SQL scripts say? Did you do the steps necessary in the backup to process the transaction log (like the message in the System Status window says)?

r3v0ke
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Here it is, as you can see, all updated

databaseUP.png

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

And if you re-run the System State checks, what happens?

What happens if you close and re-open the VAC?

r3v0ke
Level 4
Partner Accredited

When I re-ran the checks all other status are updated, but those about these fingerprints don't...

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

hm, I'm not in front of a SQL db or Vault server at the moment (and won't be until Sunday, unfortunately). Perhaps some others from the forum will offer some help shortly.

r3v0ke
Level 4
Partner Accredited

It seens that now it is updating the status, but now I got this problem:

The SQL database transaction log for Vault Store 'Mail Archiving' has used 99% of its allocated space

.The fingerprint database 'EVVSGMailArchiving_1_1' transaction log for Vault Store Group 'Mail Archiving EZSV125' has used 99% of its allocated space.

Both recomendations actions are "perform a backup", but the backups are updated ;_;

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Hmm I'd say that the transaction logs need to be made bigger - or truncated - but I'm not a SQL expert.

Nups
Level 4
Employee Certified

Kindly check the following link if you are using BackupExec to backup the EV databases:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH154061

This may help to tackle both the issues.

r3v0ke
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I'm using NetBackup actually, but thank for the reply

steve_ev
Level 3

Looking at the backup status in your screenshot, it looks like you're backing up the databases and logs on different days (e.g. MailArchiving DB on 16/04, log on 17/04).  This may account for the inconsistencies you're getting in the EV alerts.

So I'd check your backup job and make sure you backup the database and logs as part of the same backup.  The same goes for SQL maintenance tasks, I have seperate tasks as part of the same job.

Truncate the logs down manually also to give the backup software a chance to keep the transaction logs down to a decent size.  If the EV databases are on SQL 2008 and later, the easiest way is to change the recovery mode to simple, then run DBCC SHRINFILE against the log file, then set it back to full.  If SQL 2005 and earlier, run a BACKUP LOG WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY, then DBCC SHRINKFILE.

Hope this helps.

Nups
Level 4
Employee Certified

Also check if the Netback job has any errors/warnings for this particular job.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Is this issue now resolved, or is more help needed?