cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folder Based Retention Period

anon1m0us1
Level 6

Is it possible to have a retention period based on a folder.

For example, a user's bail box has a retention period of 60 days. However, mail moved into a folder called client will have a retention period of 1 year. If it is in another folder, it will have a retention period of 6 months.

If it is possible, how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

So based on the EVPM script you posted above i don't see the directories you set about to create, typically if you have a stale Folder list in archive explorer you would just right click in the folder section and select "Refresh" (don't press the browsers refresh or hit F5 as that would simply pull the cached version)

Also sometimes depending on how busy a server is, it can take a few seconds after archiving an item to show up in Archive Explorer as indexing may be behind, or indexing could be in read only/backup mode, or the index itself could be failed etc

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

absolutely possible and very common using EVPM to create the folder and apply the retention policy to it OR by leveraging Exchange's managed folders and inheriting policy settings from it (or not).

JesusWept3
Level 6
And make sure you enable Moved Items and Update Retention in your archiving policy so that if a user moves a shortcut in outlook, that it get stamped with the correct retention

anon1m0us1
Level 6

What's EVPM? Which document do you think will have the details?

JesusWept3
Level 6

EVPM can be found in the Utilities guide with the documentation and has several examples

anon1m0us1
Level 6

Ok, here is a script I wrote. I tested it and it created the folders. How can I confirm the retention policy?

[Directory]
DirectoryComputerName= evserver
SiteName = EVSite

[Mailbox]
ProvisioningGroup=Default Users

[Folder]
Name = \Clients
NonDeletable=True
retentioncategory=Retention 2 Year Period

[Folder]
Name= \Administrative
NonDeletable=True
retentioncategory=Forever Retention Period

AndrewB

(using the full EV client) from outlook you can right click and look at the properties of the folder. there should be an EV tab with the info you're looking for.

JesusWept3
Level 6

you can also archive an item in that folder, then through Archive Explorer, open up the page and browse to your folder, right click and then you should have a view option to show Retention Categories, and you should see that item with the forever retention applied

anon1m0us1
Level 6

Don't see any TAB for EV. It did createthe folder though.

AndrewB

in that case JW's suggestion to use AE would be perfect for you.

anon1m0us1
Level 6

Don't see it in Archive Explorer.

I ran the script above and it created two new directories, as the screenshot shows, with both folders.

JesusWept3
Level 6

So based on the EVPM script you posted above i don't see the directories you set about to create, typically if you have a stale Folder list in archive explorer you would just right click in the folder section and select "Refresh" (don't press the browsers refresh or hit F5 as that would simply pull the cached version)

Also sometimes depending on how busy a server is, it can take a few seconds after archiving an item to show up in Archive Explorer as indexing may be behind, or indexing could be in read only/backup mode, or the index itself could be failed etc

anon1m0us1
Level 6

The directories get created right away...as shown in screenshot. I created 4 directories all sucessfully. But I do not see them in Archive explorer.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Items in the folders have to be archived before you will see them in Archive Explorer

anon1m0us1
Level 6

I am manually moving emails into these folders. Is there away to archive automaticlly if I move it into a folder?

The way I am currently set, I want emails to be in the inbox for 6 months.

If I move it into the Admin folder, it should be there for 1 year based on the retention policiy.

I also copied a shortcut to the folder, it still did not appear in Vault.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you put items that are eligilbe to be archived in the folder you either need to wait for the scheduled archive run or do a run now on the mailbox via the archive task.

Just because you put a shortcut in the folder doesn't mean it will show up, the mailbox will need to be processed by the archive task.

anon1m0us1
Level 6

I manually Ran the Exchange Archive Task, and the item and folder appear in Vault Cache. But in Archive Explorer, nothing shows up, not even the email.

AndrewB

have you tried right clicking and refreshing your AE window? you might need to try it several times.

anon1m0us1
Level 6

Ok, I finally got it. I needed to click Refresh....sorry.

Based on the script, the folder i moved the mail to0 (Administrative) has an indefinite retention period. I, the user only have 2 years. THe mail object in EV Cache, has the 2 years, which is wrong.

I verified, that the Exchange Mailbox Policy, the udate Archive location is selected with Include items with Retention,......selected.