cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folder Level Retention Category Report

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

We have several retention categories which were hidden a long time ago so they couldn't be used for manual archiving. I ran a SQL query to see how many archived items we had which still had those retention categories and the numbers are much higher than I expected to see. Since users can't manually archive with the old (hidden) retention categories, I suspect they are still set at the folder level inside people's mailboxes.

How would I go about gathering data about folder level retention categories settings per mailbox?

1 REPLY 1

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Unfortunately you can't really because the retention categories set at the folder level are stored in the Filter message (hidden message) of each users folder within outlook and is not in the database.

So when the Archive Task connects to determine what retention policy it should set it to, first thing it will do is check the message itself and see if someone has set the retention category it should be set, if that hasn't been set then it will check the filter message to see if someone has changed it at the properties of the folder or set through EVPM.

If that hasn't been set then it will go back to the hidden message itself or take it from the site policy.

what i would suggest is just zap everyone, set the retention through EVPM or policies the way you want it to be, then run the task to update the new retention policies set for each item

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146