cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folders Missing in Archive Explorer

Guppy
Level 3
I have a mailbox where archived items can be found when doing a search, but can't be found in Archive Explorer as the folder the mails are supposed to be in is missing.  I tried doing a reindex of the mailbox, but the folder that most of the archived mails are in, is still not visible.

Has anyone seen this before?  Any ideas how to resolve this?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
i'd ignore most of this thread and create a case with symc if you have something in a technote saying the issue has been resolved
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

Wedge2007
Level 3
I've seen deleting the temporary internet files fix folder structure issues in Archive Explorer. On one pc it looks fine, while another it does not. It's worth a shot.

Viam
Level 3
Also I would add that Archive Explorer will show the mail in the folder it was originally archived from.  So if the shortcuts have been moved in outlook then this will not be reflected in Archive Explorer.

Can you perform a search from Archive Explorer and find these items?

Guppy
Level 3
Hi Wedge2007 - are you talking about clearing the temp internet files on the client,  or on the server?  If on the client, I'll give it a shot, but I don't think it'll be the fix I'm looking for as we've accessed this mailbox Explorer from at least 3 different machines with the same account.

Viam - The user had moved all his shortcuts previously, which is how I discovered that a folder was missing.  I did a Vault search to find out where the shortcuts originally were, (all in one folder) and this is the folder that's not visible in AE.  I'm going to try recreating the folder and acrchiving a message to see if maybe it will then show the folder with the all the mails that can't be seen in that folder.

P.S.  On the issue of users being users (moving shortcuts etc).  Are there any plans to provide a tool that will allow you to align the folder data in Vault with the location that the user has moved their shortcuts to?

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi

Any news on this?
Have you tried deleting the IE Cache?

If you're interested in such a tool, you could contact our Team Member Peter Kozak by e-mail: peter.kozak (at) vcare-it.com

We have a tool in development that Moves Users (the Tool is called EVMove :) ) and takes Moved Shortcuts into account, maybe you could use it somehow for your purposes.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Guppy
Level 3
No joy with clearing the cache, or with recreating the folder.  The items steadfastly refuse to appear in Archive Explorer.

I might drop Peter a mail regarding the tool.  Thanks.

MichelZ
Level 6
OK, let's try it the other way around:

When you search for the item with EV Search, either Browser based or within Outlook, can you locate the Item and open it? And there is a folder name in the Search, is this Folder visible in Archive Explorer?

Cheers
Michel

Guppy
Level 3
Hopefully I can explain the issue a bit more clearly this time.  Scenario - user has re-organised his shortcuts.  Originally they were all dumped in one folder.  I'll talk about a single mail, but there's about a thousand in this state that I know of.

Doing an advanced find in Outlook for the mail finds the shortcut in Folder A

Going to the folder in Outlook, finds the shortcut in Folder A

Doing an EV Seach of Vault finds the item in Folder B

Doing a seach in Archive Explorer, also finds the item in Folder B

Originally Folder B was not visible in Archive Explorer, even though a search tells you the folder exists, so you could not navigate to the folder that held all the mails.

The new folder structure the user created (Folder A) is visible in Archive Explorer, and shows the mails that have been archived from there since he did the re-org, and not the older stuff (as you would expect)

I tried recreating Folder B with the same original name and location in Outlook, and that is now visible in Archive Explorer, but has no mails under it.

So, the upshot is that EV knows that Folder B exists and has thousands of mails in it, but Archive Explorer does not show it.

Ideally, apart from fixing this, I'm looking for a tool to re-align Vault location with current shortcut location (I'm told that one does exist), as the next step is to get rid of old shortcuts.   The only reason I found this issue was that I was showing a colleague what the plan was, and how Archive Explorer allows the users to navigate through a folder structure to find mails, only to discover the 'missing' folder.  I have no idea how many other users are affected, as users currently use their bloated shortcuts....

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi

Please look above, I've already posted a contact person for a Tool which should do what you want.

Cheers
Michel

Guppy
Level 3
Yep, thanks, saw that and was planning to drop him a mail today.

In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas on a quick fix for the problem I'm seeing, I'm all eyes Smiley Wink

Kevin_Wright_2
Level 3
This sounds very similar to something I observed today with one of my users:

He reported being unable to find several items from a couple of years ago, relating to a particular subject.

When we use the search tool, I showed him that the items are, indeed, still safely stored in his archive, and listed which folders they are associated with, for example: Folder: Project Folders\Project Aaaaa.

However, he showed me his archive explorer.  I selected the top-level folder here and repeated the search, selecting to search subfolders as well.  The items appeared in these results, again displaying their folder as Project Aaaaa.

When I located Project Folders in his archive explorer tree, there were no subfolders under it at all, and based on the information returned in the search, there should have been at least 3 (Project Aaaaa, Bbbbb, Ccccc, for this  example).  I checked his Outlook, and the 3 subfolders were there (empty, because he hadn't put anything in them in a while, and we run shortcut deletion).   He said he had not rearranged any of the folders at all.

So the individual items still retained their folder information (and displayed it in searches) but somehow archive explorer was unable to read it sufficiently to make these items appear in their folders, and the folders themselves didn't show up in archive explorer as all.

I tried clearing the IE cache and viewing this archive explorer from other machines, all showing the same incorrect folder structure.

Guppy
Level 3
I'm working the issue with Symantec at the moment. You may want to try this solution:  

http://support.veritas.com/docs/290151

Multiple "Top of Information Store" wasn't my issue, but could be yours.

Shall keep you posted.

Kevin_Wright_2
Level 3
Thanks for that. :)  It wasn't "the" solution, but it gave me some more information about what's going on...

This user does not have more than one "top of information store" associated with his archive.

But when I was checking this out, I noticed something that's definitely wrong:  a series of folders with their ParentFolderRootIdentity values set to a value that doesn't seem to exist.

His ToIS's root identity value  is 14875, then there's a folder with 14876.  Then the next one is 14925.

Starting with that one, and for the next 10-15 folders, they reference 14881 and 14880 (which do not appear in this list) and these folders are the ones that are missing from his archive explorer.

So I can see the problem, but I'm not entirely certain what to do about it.  I'd rather not go tossing numbers into a SQL table until I know which numbers to put where...

(As another note, this user has had his index deleted and rebuilt before, and this problem remains despite that.)

MichelZ
Level 6
Kevin

Maybe a reindex of the User will help.

Cheers
Michel

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
MichealZ,

Good idea!

Since the other methods failed re-indexing may be the answer. I will try this on a test system when I have an opportunity.

Jim S.

ciphermonkey
Level 2
Was there any solution to this issue? I have a user who has an horrific folder structure in Archive explorer that bears no resemblance whatsoever to his inbox structure.  I have been able to replicate the issue with a test user in that I moved a subfolder in the inbox and the move wasn't reflected in the archive explorer.

I worked through the support document mentioned above before I found this thread and it wasn't the top of information store null issue but as also mentioned above I can see that the parent folder structure numbers are incorrect and reflect the old layout that I can see in archive explorer.  I don't really want to hack into tables to fix this issue. (If that would even work.)

Reindexing was mentioned, what is this and did it solve the issue?

edit:  ok, I worked out how to reindex my test user, I did so and it had no effect on the archive explorer layout...
:(

Anyone get anywhere with this?

Message Edited by ciphermonkey on 03-07-2008 07:00 AM

Guppy
Level 3
A reindex didn't work for me, and believe it or not, the only solution Symantec could come up with to fix it was to export the users vault to pst, and then reimport.  Originally they said they'd write me a script to fix it, and then another person took over the case because the first person left, and that's when I got the export/import solution.  A rather unacceptable solution as we're finding more and more users with the problem.

We did play around with the SQL db for a bit, and I think that I may be able to resolve it by fixing up some things in there, but that will require a bit of dedicated time to take another look, and I haven't had the chance yet.

Elliot_G
Level 4
I spoke to a Symantec Engineer about a similar problem. Apparently if you delete a folder in Outlook (because it is now empty), but were items in that folder previously which got archived from that folder, they are hard to find in AE because the deleted folder disappears! In other words, they are still in the archive, but the folder they should be located in is not visible in AE. This apparently happens whenever you delete a folder from Outlook - it goes from AE. But the contents are still there!

Their comment was that it will be fixed in version 8!

Elliot

ciphermonkey
Level 2
I'm tempted to disable offline on a test account delete the users records from the database and then recreate the offline vault to see what would happen. 

I'll sit down with my sql guy and look into this, I think having to hack a database to resolve this (or export and reimport) are extremely poor resolutions.  It's an index of folders you'd think they'd have coded the offline vault reset to remove these records... =\

Guppy
Level 3
"Fixed in Version 8" - Yes that's what they told me too.   Pity thats yonks away....

The deleted folder scenario exactly matches what I'm seeing, so it's surprising that Symantec don't have it in their KB as a known issue, and that the person I worked with didn't know about it.

I totally agree with you cybermonkey - they should be able to easily come up with a reindex process that should fix this issue.  Granted it may take a bit of time to run, if doing all users, but it should be something that they provide, as hacking the db is not an ideal solution for what appears to be a common problem....