cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Question

dineshnegi
Level 5

Hello ,

Why we need outlook on enterprise vault server ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

For Exchange archiving (or journaling) it provides the underlying MAPI subsystem needed to access the mailboxes.

Granted, it could all be written to use either a custom built solution, or using Redemption.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

For Exchange archiving (or journaling) it provides the underlying MAPI subsystem needed to access the mailboxes.

Granted, it could all be written to use either a custom built solution, or using Redemption.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

All custom solutions + redemption need Outlook/MAPI as well...

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Amit_Suthar
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Enterprise Vault has the ability to archive from various sources such as Microsoft Exchange, SMTP devices, Lotus Domino, Microsoft Sharepoint and File Systems with the ability to store on a multiple of storage platforms,The data archived is indexed, classified, de-duplicated and securely stored.

dineshnegi
Level 5

hey guy, Did n't understand on below line

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I was saying that the whole of EV could be rewritten to use other libraries.. but in the end they also require Outlook.

So Outlook is needed because the underlying MAPI subsystem is needed in order to archive Exchange mails.

JesusWept3
Level 6

I seem to remember in the last round of discussions I was apart of, MS were heavily trying to push Extended MAPI + CDO on EV because Outlook at the time was not supported being installed on a machine with ESM (which also used to be a dependency)

I seem to remember the issue was with Distribution List expansion and lookups in the GAL that EV needed the core outlook functionality for

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

JesusWept3
Level 6

oh and another thing redemption does not need outlook to be installed
however the MAPI+CDO does not support Unicode, another reason why Outlook is required to be installed

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

MichelZ
Level 6

True, but the Unicode support de-facto gets you to Outlook again, especially when dealing with PST's ;)

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So...... back to the original poster, is there anything else that is needed on this issue?

What is the reason for asking about Outlook?

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

let's put it this way, outlook is a requirement depending on the source you want to archive.