cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get-EVDatabaseFileInfo Value does not fall within the expected range

migeauxy
Level 3

HI

Trying to get a report of the Fingerprint and Vaultstore Database, when I execute the command Get-EVDatabaseFileInfo, I get the following arror :

Get-EVDatabaseFileInfo : Value does not fall within the expected range.
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-EVDatabaseFileInfo -Databasetype Fingerprint -EntryID
175A12ED9FC3CE34CB5AE6 ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (Symantec.Enterp...atabaseFileInfo
:GetDatabaseFileInfo) [Get-EVDatabaseFileInfo], ArgumentException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnknownError,Symantec.EnterpriseVault.PowerShell
.Core.GetDatabaseFileInfo

The EnrtyID and the StorageServiceEntryID are correct, as I get them from the Get-EVStorageDatabase command

Anyone with this issue ?

eVault Version is 12.1.0.1424

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

ChrisLangevin
Level 6
Employee

I tried this in labs with both EV 12.1 and 12.2 and I get the same results as you. It's not a wrong EntryId value, as you get the exact same error if you just do either

Get-EVDatabaseFileInfo -DatabaseType Fingerprint
Get-EVDatabaseFileInfo -DatabaseType VaultStore

without specifying any EntryID.

Dtrace shows that the error is not coming from the PowerShell cmdlet code but rather from some lower-level storage code that the cmdlet is calling.

11   09:12:02.458 [23908] (powershell) <Pipeline Execution Thread:25980> EV-H {Logger.WriteLine} GetEVDatabaseFileInfo::ProcessRecord Exception occurred: System.ArgumentException: Value does not fallwithin the expected range.   at KVS.EnterpriseVault.Interop.StorageProxyClass._GetStorageObject(String entryId, Guid& rclsid,Guid& riid)   at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.PowerShell.Core.GetDatabaseFileInfo.WriteEVDatabaseFileInfoObject(String computerEntryId)   at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.PowerShell.Core.GetDatabaseFileInfo.ProcessRecord()

Edit: It appears that the -EntryID and -StorageServiceEntryId parameters are actually required. This is not stated explicitly in the PowerShell Cmdlets.pdf document (though I suppose the examples imply it), but it is listed in the cmdlet's help.

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault> Get-Help Get-EVDatabaseFileInfo -Parameter EntryId

-EntryId <string>
    The EntryId for a vault store or a vault store group. Not required when
    you specify Directory as the Database type.

Required?                    true
    Position?                    2
    Default value
    Accept pipeline input?       true (ByPropertyName)
    Accept wildcard characters?  false

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault> Get-Help Get-EVDatabaseFileInfo -Parameter StorageServiceEntryId

-StorageServiceEntryId <string>
    The EntryId for the Storage service is associated with the database. Not
    required when you specify Directory as the Database type.

Required?                    true
    Position?                    3
    Default value
    Accept pipeline input?       true (ByPropertyName)
    Accept wildcard characters?  false

Strangely, these parameters are not marked as mandatory in the cmdlet code, which is why you are allowed to run it without one or both of them, which led to my confusion.

When I include these parameters in the lab, the cmdlet works fine and returns the file info. When I don't, I get your error. So it does look like there must be something wrong with your parameter input. Care to post the exact command(s) you're running to generate the error?

--Chris