Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give your opinion "Rollback plan for Scripted PST import."

ewjorritsma
Level 4
Partner
Hi All,

For a large client we are preparing for a Scripted PST import. Eveyrhing is prepared, but in any migration plan a rollback plan has te be in place.
We are confident everything is in order and the migration wil go as planned...but just to be safe we also want a rollback plan...
Email is not yet archived, only PST files are imported (See remarkt in rollback plan).

So here is my general question, we have come up with a general rollback plan which I would like your opinion about or remarks or a rollback plan used by you..

Our rollback plan would be if a PST import should on what even reason should be rollbacked.

A. Change shortcut Expiry to 0 Days
B. Disable Archive
C. Delete Archive
D. Run the Exchang Arhive Task *Process Shortcuts*  (Does this also clean up the folders made during the PST import??)
E. Restore the PST files to original location
F. Let user reopen their PST files in their outlook profile.

Any thoughts on this rollback plan, or any advice..

Regards,
Edo
1 REPLY 1

Joseph_Rodgers
Level 6
Partner
Edo,

Hmm.  I would need to know more about your deployment plan to be sure but here's my 2 cent:

This an an alternative method.  Your method should work.

Assumptions:
Shortcuts are being created in users' mailboxes. 
There is NO other archived content in the users' archives
The PSTs have a safety copy (backup) prior to ingestion
You are not archiving to a Centera in compliance + mode

To roll back for all users:

This method could be used if other content exists in the user archive.  Make sure to use a unique Retention Category for imported PST messages.

A. set the retention period for the imported items to 0 days
B. Run Expiry service
C. Run Shortcut processing with orphaned shortcut deletion enabled (mailbox policy setting)

To rollback for an invidiual user:

A. Use the 'export archive' feature in the EV console
B. Choose: Export all items from this root folder path: 
C. root folder path = '\' (remove quotes)
D. Check Remove 'exported items from archive'
E. Verify items have been successfully removed via ev search.
F. Run Shortcut processing with orphaned shortcut deletion enabled (mailbox policy setting)

Note: Neither of these processes will remove the PST folder structure created in the mailbox.  To delete it in the archive use this:  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/283571.htm

I would not recommend deleting the archives however deleting the archive would remove the archive folder structure in one step.

To delete the mailbox folder I would suggest importing all items to a root folder such as "Imported PSTs"  If a rollback is necessary the use can be instructed to ignore\delete this folder.

Regards
Joe