cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google's AMP for Email and Enterprise Vault

pylesw
Level 2

Google just announced that it will be making email more dynamic, allowing developers to embed web applications within an email message without needing to go to a browser. See https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/13/google-wants-to-use-amp-to-make-email-more-interactive/.

As I ponder the implications of this new technology, I can't help but wonder how archiving products like Enterprise Vault will work with content that could dynamically change; for example, I assume EV will continue to index the static content within an email, but for dynamic content, as in a web app, what will the indexing engine do with it? Just store the links, I suppose. And for those companies that are bound to retain email for a set period of time (banks, for example), how will firms retain the fidelity of what got sent (the content at the time the user sent it) instead of the content at the time the email is read. 

Any thoughts on this? 

1 REPLY 1

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Interesting... I'm not sure how ev.cloud would handle this, but for onprem I guess:

EV archives items based on modified date from mailboxes - archive everything older than 30 days.

If an email keeps changing, the modified date probably keeps changing accordingly. Hence, the message would not be archived.

If journal archiving (onprem/from gmail using smtp) a message is archived when it arrives at the recieving mailbox/ev smtp service. that is the item which will hold in court I think. Changing the message at the source (sender), which then changes the message in the user's mailbox *might* be a new message, although the article does not state that explicitly.

I'm curious to learn also how EV (or other archiving products) will handle that.

Regards. Gertjan