cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - archiving and retrieval not working

Masmit_999
Level 4

We're running Enterprise Vault v8 SP3 on a Windows 2003 server and only for Exchange 2007 mailbox archiving (we have 2x Exchange 2007 mailbox servers and it's not working for either.

It's been running fine for many months but today our service desk began getting a number of calls related to the mailbox quotas being used up and we found EV was not archiving or retrieving anything and from the log files has not done so since the 6th.

Between the 6th and 9th up until this afternoon we have received this error:

Event ID 3230

Timed out whilst waiting for the MAPI profile mutex

Exchange Server: MAILSERVER1

MutexName: EnterpriseVaultProfileMutex 1F71593B041256444B3C1E6691B0D7E391011z00EVSite1

Reason: WAIT_TIMEOUT

Then we've also been receiving this error:

Event ID 3310

There was a problem accessing a network service or resource. The dispenser will re-queue the current item and sleep for 10 minute(s).

Task: Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for MAILSERVER1

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp

I've tried:

• reset the EV service account password
  • checked the sql databases for space and the SMTP: setting.
  • rebooted EV server AND the mail server which the errors relate to.
  • Confirmed Outlook is working and can login and send messages as the system account (I've also tried a new system account)
  • Confirmed our registry has the use nearest global catalogue server.
  • Stopped the services and removed the extra temporary profiles which are created
  • Stopped the services and run fixmapi tool.
  • I can connect to the mail server via unc path fine.
  • Disabled anti virus software
  • No changes or patches have been made to the EV server or the Exchange servers
  • Task manager does show up to 10 Indexserver.exe's appearing but generally the cpu is less than 25%.
  • I've run a couple of dtraces and trawled through them looking for errors and error codes and then researched them but I've got nowhere.

The message queue number of items for the first mailserver are:

• A2 - 5451
  • A3 - 2 
  • A5 - 1863
  • A6 - 95
  • A7 - 46

Mail server no. 2 has approx 2,500 items in queues A3 and A5.

All other queues are empty.

About the only thing I've not actually done is purge the queues as I kept coming across the document from Symantec on best practice and it states to let the A2 queue empty first.

Restarting the task for the first server does generate the 3310 error and if i check the outlook profiles there are a number which have been generated (between 10-15 appear).

I'm going to try logging a call with symantec tomorrow but suspect we're out of support as my finance manager didn't place the order for renewal in August 2011 (I only found this out this week).

Anybody else experienced this or got any suggestions on what/how to resolve it as I've got approx 8,000 users severely frustrated and getting worse hour by hour. I'm going to try logging a call with symantec tomorrow but suspect we're out of support as our finance team didn't place the order for renewal in August 2011 (I only found this out this week).

Thanks in advance.

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_Warren
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

It 'seems' like the initial connectivity to Exchange is okay:

CArchivingAgent::ArchiveItem() |Everything has been successful up to this point, so we are going ahead and calling ProcessItem. |

But it seems to die when it is accessing an item in A2 perhaps.  I probably would end up stopping the task, purging the A2 queue and Admin queue and start it up again (could be a corrupt object in the queue).  These items have not hit storage yet, so the only thing you need to make sure of is that the Exchange policy has the 'Pending Shortcut Timeout' set to say 7 days.  This will then allow the items that would be stuck in pending to be reverted on the next archive task run.

If the 3310's still continue, you may need to run a network monitor between the EV server and that Exchange to see if there are any problems with communication (although it doesn't seem so via Dtrace).

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
What version of outlook do you have installed? Make sure you are running outlook 2003 Also try just clearing out your mailbox profiles, delete any and all instances of mapisvc.inf and then run fixmapi and perform a reboot and see if that helps Otherwise what we'll need is a DTrace of the ArchiveTask to see where it might falling over
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Masmit_999
Level 4

Just a bit of an update:

The backup is currently running so I'm letting that complete before making any changes or running a new Dtrace.

Over the last few hours the second mail servers queues have cleared completed so it's only the first mailserver affected and every 10 minutes we're getting the 3310 error - which makes sense as it sleeps for 10 minutes :)

As soon as the backup completes I'll try removing the mapisvc.inf, running fixmapi and rebooting (I've tried copying the largest/newest version of mapisvc.inf to c:\windows\system32 and then running fixmapi but not removing it).

Just to confirm it is Outlook 2003, and I have cleared out all of the profiles a number of times.

I'll attach a Dtrace later this morning also with an update after the above.

Thanks

Masmit_999
Level 4

I renamed all copies of the mapisvc.inf, ran fixmapi and rebooted and Outlook would not start then stating mapi32.dll was corrupted. Even when i renamed the mapisvc.inf's back to their original naming it didnt work.

In the end I've re-installed Outlook 2003, configured and tested it with the system account and it's working.

However we're still getting no movement in the message queues. I've run a Dtrace for 10 minutes and attached it. About 3 minutes in I restarted the task for the mail server (which is called RESEXEVS1) and then did a "run now".

Any help really appreciated.

Mark

Chris_Warren
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

It 'seems' like the initial connectivity to Exchange is okay:

CArchivingAgent::ArchiveItem() |Everything has been successful up to this point, so we are going ahead and calling ProcessItem. |

But it seems to die when it is accessing an item in A2 perhaps.  I probably would end up stopping the task, purging the A2 queue and Admin queue and start it up again (could be a corrupt object in the queue).  These items have not hit storage yet, so the only thing you need to make sure of is that the Exchange policy has the 'Pending Shortcut Timeout' set to say 7 days.  This will then allow the items that would be stuck in pending to be reverted on the next archive task run.

If the 3310's still continue, you may need to run a network monitor between the EV server and that Exchange to see if there are any problems with communication (although it doesn't seem so via Dtrace).

Hope this helps.

Masmit_999
Level 4

Chris - thank you so much.

I've followed your advise and I now have items increasing/decreasing in the queues and manually archiving/retrieving is working for me.

I think the amount of other areas I'd looked at today I was beginning to look at purging but wasn't quite sure what to look out for.

You've just potentially saved my weekend - thanks again