cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have 2 Enterprise Vault servers (version 8 and 10) need to consolidate down to a single server

Eric911
Level 3

Hello everyone,

I recently inherited our Enterprise Vault infrastructure, having no prior experience with enterprise vault I've been able to keep what was already in place running and in fairly good health.

Currently we have 2 servers 1 physical and 1 that has been virtualized.  The virtualized server is running Enterprise Vault 8.0.3.1845 and the physical server is running 10.0.4.1189.  The virtualized server with the older version of EV has active archives stored on it, however I have disabled any further archiving to that server although some employees that have been around long enough still have an occasional need to access email on that server.

With that being said, having to manage two entirely separate instances of Enterprise vault is becoming a bit tedious, so I am wondering if there is a way to migrate the data from the older version of EV to the newer version that is running on a completely different system.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your options as I see it are this:

1. Do a manual export to PST and import from the EV 8 to EV 10.  Not the most ideal situation.
  2. Upgrade the EV 8 to EV 9/10 version that supports the cross EV move
  3. Use a third-party solution like our Archive Shuttle. (Personally I think this is the best option.) ;)
  4. Do nothing.  Enable the mailboxes in the new site and let the old data expire off.

HTH,

TS

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You can use the native move archive tool.. but I'm not 100% sure it supports 8.0.3.

Or you can use a 3rd party tool, such as Archive Shuttle.

Working for cloudficient.com

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

you can find a list of all your migration options here: http://www.symantec.com/theme.jsp?themeid=enterprise-vault-extensions

Eric911
Level 3

Rob, can you provide more information on the native move archive tool?  I can't seem to find anything about that.  If it's possible to use a tool that is part of the enterprise vault software we already own that would be great.  Failing that, I may have to use something like archive shuttle.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Search for move archive in the admin guide.. it's all in there.

Working for cloudficient.com

Eric911
Level 3

Thanks!

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

here's a whitepaper about move archive. the move you're trying to do is not supported so you'll have to upgrade EV first or look into other tools.

Enterprise Vault Move Archive Feature Overview

Article:TECH129236  |  Created: 2010-01-26  |  Updated: 2015-02-03  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129236

EdLacey
Level 5
Certified

Was about to respond but realised I was only duplicating what AndrewB had already posted.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your options as I see it are this:

1. Do a manual export to PST and import from the EV 8 to EV 10.  Not the most ideal situation.
  2. Upgrade the EV 8 to EV 9/10 version that supports the cross EV move
  3. Use a third-party solution like our Archive Shuttle. (Personally I think this is the best option.) ;)
  4. Do nothing.  Enable the mailboxes in the new site and let the old data expire off.

HTH,

TS