cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I just broken an index?

James_Slack
Level 6

Hi all,

I was getting a few errors about a few users having index errors in the event log so I though I would have a look.

This was the error I was getting for one of the users in question.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event ID 7292
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The index volume has been marked as failed.
Index Volume: 1F346F1B084E5CF4F8A594A365C7223411110000vaultsite/Volume:239 (Raymond Rodriguez)
Index Volume Path: H:\EVStorage\PRVAULTDB01\Indexes\Location04\1F346F1B084E5CF4F8A594A365C7223411110000vaultsite
Reference: ValidateFileChecksum

so, what I did was at this point was check the folder mentioned and looked at the avtrace.log file, which was 0kb.

Then decided that as it was failed it must need a rebuild.

So in the EV Admin Console, I found the mailbox, went into the advanced tab and hit rebuild.

Checking the event log I got these two messages

Event 7294
Starting index volume update

Index Volume: 1F346F1B084E5CF4F8A594A365C7223411110000vaultsite/Volume:0 (Raymond Rodriguez)
Index Volume Path: H:\EVStorage\PRVAULTDB01\Indexes\Location04\1F346F1B084E5CF4F8A594A365C7223411110000vaultsite
Job Id: Vol_239
Job Author: MAG\vault.admin
Job Description: Rebuild Index

then

Event 7292
Index Volume: 1F346F1B084E5CF4F8A594A365C7223411110000vaultsite/Volume:239 (Raymond Rodriguez)
Reference: Open

Due to errors accessing the index volume it has been marked as 'failed' to prevent further errors. The index volume will remain inaccessible until it has been repaired.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

So now, I thought I would check the avtrace file again to see if it had any info - but the folder was gone. Totally gone. That users Index folder has just vaporised.

Have I just made things worse for myslef?

Any ideas anyone, please?

I have about 7 users in this state and would ideally like to sort them all out.

Cheers

36 REPLIES 36

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Search your drive where the indexes are stored for indexmissing.log

If you check in the VAC for the archives which were failed yesterday...are they now showing a number of items missing from the indexes in the VAC?

James_Slack
Level 6
Any idea how I can find it.

I have a H: driver called Indexes and I have searched that whole drive and there is no indexmissing.log file.

I also searched the C: drive and it't not hiding there either. Is there a way to confirgure where this file resides (and therefore find out where I need to look).

Cheers

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
it will always be in the directory where the index resides.

If it has not created this file it means that you may not be missing any data from the indexes

Did you restart the services again today (maybe early morning for backups)?

Did you run the last SQL script I gave you to check if there were any missing index items?

James_Slack
Level 6
Not sure how to check for this:
"If you check in the VAC for the archives which were failed yesterday...are they now showing a number of items missing from the indexes in the VAC?"

Any info?

James_Slack
Level 6
I will restart the services again manually (maybe use this as an oppertunity to reboot quickly) and then run that script you gave me.

Will report back.

James_Slack
Level 6
I will restart the services again manually (maybe use this as an oppertunity to reboot quickly) and then run that script you gave me.

Will report back. Thanks

James_Slack
Level 6

Will report back. Thanks for

James_Slack
Level 6

Will report back. Thanks for your

James_Slack
Level 6

Will report back. Thanks for your help!!

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
in the VAC expand Archives

Then expand File System or Exchange Mailbox depending which was failed
in the right side window you will see the list of your archives

Select one of the archives which failed and select Properties
When the properties opens select the Index Volumes tab
If you scroll left on that window you will see the Failed Items Column
This will show you if there are any missing items for the users archives
Each line in this represents an index location
If there are any items missing from any of the specific index locations you can highlight the one with the failed items, right click and select repair

EV will then try to add the missing items to the index.

When a repair is running the index will show as rebuilding, in fact it is just adding the missing items and it is not doing a rebuild

James_Slack
Level 6
Had a look at one of the users.

As I said yesterday, the status is NORMAL. If I look at failed items, it shows as NOT SET.

Does this mean all is OK or does it mean that it doesnt know?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
It looks like all is OK
Sounds like nothing was missing from the indexes.

Whatever was pending to be added was added sucessfully

I would say your indexes are good

James_Slack
Level 6
I used your script and it came back with 1 item, which is an index I am doing a repair on.

So for me, all I needed to do was delete the checksum.dat files and restart indexing. That's pretty handy to know!

Cheers for all your help on this scanner.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Anytime, That what we are here for

Kristjan
Level 4
Hi,
I also have a similar problem, after a bad failover in a EV cluster some indexes started to give me errors in the event log:

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Enterprise Vault
Event Category:    Index Server
Event ID:    7292
Date:        17.11.2009
Time:        5:29:53
User:        N/A
Computer:   Machinename
Description:
Index Volume: 15A3407290727264C8A139148C5DF188F1110000Machinename/Volume:72 (archivename)
Index Volume Path: E:\Indexing\Index01\15A3407290727264C8A139148C5DF188F1110000machinename
Reference: Makestable

Due to errors accessing the index volume it has been marked as 'failed' to prevent further errors.  The index volume will remain inaccessible until it has been repaired.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp
----------------------------------
There are no checksum.dat in those folders and when i tried to update index via admin console, it started to rebuild automaticly

EV version is 2007-SP3

Thanks in advance

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello Kristjan,

I advise to make a new post. this is a closed thread.

Regards
Regards. Gertjan

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 Please create a new post and we will be more than happy to assist you