cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on How to Setup a EVPM Script To Apply a Different Mailbox Policy On Specific Folders

projectman
Level 3

Currently, our Default policy for EV is to archive all mail after 30 days based on age and quota.  Items in the managed folders we created are: Business Documents folder at 3 yrs retention and Regulatory Documents folder at 7yrs retention.  All other items in the mailbox have a with retention of 1 year.

We need to change the policy where all items in the mailbox do not archive for 1 year (which I know to change via the default policy), but since changing the default policy will affect all folders, how do I set EVPM to archive mail in the following folders each night and be excluded from the 1 year autoarchive process:

Working Docs (1 Yr Retention)
Business Docs (3 Yr Retention)
Regulatory Docs (7 Yr Retention)

I have heard that there is a way to create additional scripts that can address this, but I do not know how to set that up.

So far this is the script that I have:

[Directory]
directorycomputername = EVSERVER1
sitename = EVSITE

[Filter]
name = 1_years
CreateShortcut = true
DeleteOriginal = true
unreadMAIL = true
UseInactivityPeriod = true
InactivityPeriod = 1
UsePercentageQuota = false
InactivityUnits = years

[Filter]
name = 3_years
CreateShortcut = true
DeleteOriginal = true
unreadMAIL = true
InactivityPeriod = 1
InactivityUnits = years

[Filter]
name = 7_years
CreateShortcut = true
DeleteOriginal = true
unreadMAIL = true
InactivityPeriod = 1
InactivityUnits = years

[Mailbox]
ProvisioningGroup = Exchange Organization

[Folder]
name = \_Working Docs (Retained 1 Year)
filtername = 1_years
retentioncategory = Default Retention Category
overridearchivelocks = true
NonDeletable = True

[Folder]
name = \_Business Docs (Retained 3 Years)
filtername = 3_years
retentioncategory = 3 Years
NonDeletable = True

[Folder]
name = \_Regulatory Docs (Retained 7 Years)
filtername = 7_years
retentioncategory = 7 years
NonDeletable = True

Please help,

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Without checking the docs (can do tomorrow) --

You should set your InactivityPeriod to 1 and InactivityUnits to days in your EVPM script.  That means that those folders will override the policy setting.

Also check your Moved Items tab, and make sure the tick box at the bottom isn't ticked.

With that done, you should get (based on your screenshots) nothing archived in the regular mailbox until it's 99 years old, but those particular folders will get archived at 1 day old.. you might even be able to put 0 day.
Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Were these additional folders  setup with EVPM previously with those retention categories on them?  If so then changing your default policy won't affect those folders, I don't think..

It is worth testing in a lab though first of all, to confirm.

projectman
Level 3
Rob,

I beleive i see where you are going with that question.  The answer is yes, but  what I am looking for specifically is how yo differenciate auto archive polices.

Example:

All items Mailbox will not archive, beacuse I have set the Archiving Strategy to "Archive Based on Age" and older than 99 Years Old:

imagebrowser image

Since this affetcs the entire mailbox, from auto archiving until 99 years, how do I exclude the folders delow so they archive each night and not be affected by the Default archive strategy?

imagebrowser image

Thanks

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Without checking the docs (can do tomorrow) --

You should set your InactivityPeriod to 1 and InactivityUnits to days in your EVPM script.  That means that those folders will override the policy setting.

Also check your Moved Items tab, and make sure the tick box at the bottom isn't ticked.

With that done, you should get (based on your screenshots) nothing archived in the regular mailbox until it's 99 years old, but those particular folders will get archived at 1 day old.. you might even be able to put 0 day.

projectman
Level 3
That worked! 

Thanks!!!