cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How archive message at a different age than replacing with a shortcut?

CGCI
Level 4

What I'm trying to accomplish is the ability for users to be able to search their vault as early as possible for their message, While still being able to allow mobile access to the message.  And have the message (not a shortcut replacement) in the mailbox for 3 months. 

Archive all messages in mailbox older than 0 days (All messages)

• Do not delete message or replace with shortcuts
  • This ensures that as soon as mailbox task runs, all messages are available to view in search and archive explorer (not using vault cache).

Delete and replace messages with a shortcut older than 3 months.

• Mobile devices cannot use shortcuts (built in clients) and if the messages are replaced with shortcuts if they are older than 0 day, as soon as the mailbox task runs, the mobile devices won’t be able to view archived message (or the shortcut replacement). 

This would appear to be two separate tasks, but seeing as though if a person that is in the provisioning group that is the target for the 1stpolicy (archives all, no delete, no shortcut) cannot be in another provisioning group I don’t know how to make this happen.  And a provisioning group (if I understand correctly) cannot be the target for more than one policy.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

That will not work.  It has been attempted in the past but caused more problems then it is worth.

Currently for mailbox archiving there is not an Archive Now, Shortcut Later option.

And you are correct, you can only have one policy assigned at a time via provisioning.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

That will not work.  It has been attempted in the past but caused more problems then it is worth.

Currently for mailbox archiving there is not an Archive Now, Shortcut Later option.

And you are correct, you can only have one policy assigned at a time via provisioning.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Just an addition to this, if an item is archived and it doesn't create a shortcut and leaves the original alone, if you then change the policy to create shortcuts, EV will just simply ignore the items its already archived and they will not turn in to shortcuts because its already been stamped with the EV properties.

You would have to delete the EV MAPI properties from the email and EV would archive it again properly but this time creating a duplicate within the index, so when you search, you now have two items.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

SHI-CRO
Level 6

^^^^

I tested this in my lab last week to see what would happen.  I set the IgnoreEVDates key to 1 and items previously archived and left intact indeed were replaced with shortcuts.

JesusWept3
Level 6

are you absolutely sure about that? they weren't just regular archived items, restored from a shortcut?
will check it out, if it has in fact been changed then i suppose the archiving logic could have been changed, but i know up until at least EV8 SP4 and EV9 base this "issue" still existed

SHI-CRO
Level 6

I'm sure.  It was v10.  I was expecting duplicates in the archive at the minimum, but there weren't even those.

CGCI
Level 4

I'm thinking that this is only is helpful if you plan to change your policy to shortcut.  Or am I missing something here.  If upgrading to 10 would help me, I'm up for it.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Even if shi-cro is correct, and I've no reason to disbelieve him, you wouldn't want to use that solution of the IgnoreEVDates registry key as it will simply just convert every item archived that's not a shortcut in to a shortcut, so you would in fact archive the items in day one, not turn them in to a shortcut and then day two turn them in to a shortut