cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can we improve your support experience?

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,
If you've logged a case with support recently you will know that we send you an email pointing you to tech notes for common issues as well as asking you to run the deployment scanner to capture information about your environement.  So we have confirmed details like ev version, upgrade details. event logs etc things to save you and us time.

I often look at cases and there seems to be a common thread in the difficulting in waiting for information from the customer, let's be honest you have enough things to do without getting information for support.

Which makes me wonder how we can improve things.

What features do you think we should consider adding to EV to make it easier for you when working with support.  For example perhaps there should be a secure way in which support can automatically request a deployment scanner file (with a confirmation that appears in the vac for you to approve first)  or perhaps there are common tests you are being asked to be carried out which could be made easier (for example running sql queries).

Would be very interested to hear thoughts from people who have dealt with support from time to time.

Cheers,
MIke
9 REPLIES 9

joco_ph
Level 3
im not happy with your online support.  ive been passed around just to get a trial license.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
How about a one menu item in the VAC that once you open a support case you run a tool, enter your case number. The tool then goes and does all the data gathering necessary from all your EV systems and then once complete it loads the data up to Symantec via SFTP. It should have the choice of gathering everything in one click or have an advanced option where you can select the components you specifically need using selection boxes.

Also there are common SQL queries that are run to track information and to diag issues. these should be built into the VAC for use by the customer and also the above mentioned feature so as the normal trouble shooting data that is asked can be generated bu the above tool and then sent to symantec instead of the local IT having to spend so much time to run the requested queries.

Also the option of if additional information is needed by support (other than copies of the vault store databases, that support can send a file that when put on one of the ev servers can initiate the above mentioned app to gather the additional data and again auto post it to Symantec.

In SQL when support want to enable low level tracing on SQL at present we are asked to go through a manual process to activate this and then specify what we want traced. This can all be done vis a TSQL script so again these scripts should be built into the VAC and when selected through the advanced option of the app the tracing is enabled and then posted once complete

Not sure if I have enough space to keep adding to this list

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello Mike,

I'm glad to see you are investigating a possible better experience. First, let me say that the people a communicate with in the EV-support in the UK are really good. In our environment, webex is not allowed, so they sometimes walked me through over the phone, which I think is very good. Response times could be improved a little, even with a small note saying it is busy, and they'll contact at such and such date, would be an improvement.

We do not have the highest support package. But, as a big customer, I assume that details about the environment  would be stored within your support-tool. At present I need to outline shortly our environment, which is not very customerfriendly. I do realize that you cannot do this for ecery customer, but for the bigger ones (anything from 5/6 archiving servers and up) should be possible right?

As for the script mentioned by Liam, that would be a good idea indeed. Additionally, I like the running of the deploymentscanner to gather information in a cabfile.

Maybe get some sort of tool like the Exchange Best Practice analyzer?

Thanks,

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Liam,

So what's the difference between the first idea you mentioned and what deployment scanner does in terms of data capture.  Obviously the scanner doesn't capture from all ev systems just the one you are on.  Also it doesn't FTP but the reason we didn't add that (though I'd love to), is that a lot of EV systems are not connected to the internet.  I suppose if you run the VAC remotely then perhaps your desktop would be connected to the internet and allowed to do FTP?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

Hi Liam,

So what's the difference between the first idea you mentioned and what deployment scanner does in terms of data capture.  Obviously the scanner doesn't capture from all ev systems just the one you are on.  Also it doesn't FTP but the reason we didn't add that (though I'd love to), is that a lot of EV systems are not connected to the internet.  I suppose if you run the VAC remotely then perhaps your desktop would be connected to the internet and allowed to do FTP?

Mike Bilsborough

The DS does not have the ability to run standard queries against the databases relating to any specific item such as Index issues, archiving issues. My idea was to select an advanced option where you specify some of the common areas of issue and then when the tool runs it will also initiate queries against SQL to gather data from there because alot of the time there is small sql issues cause problems and presenting that to the engineer at the start may speed up the diag process. Also yes DS does not gather data accross all servers. Again this can be an option in advanced mode where all config data from all servers can be gathered. And the FTP option I think is a good idea for users who do have internet access. The issue is at present all of this data gathering is a manual process and it takes time. By providing a 2 min quick multi choice option selection and then hit GO all the data can be agthered on one go and sent to the Engineer in question.

I also agree with Gertjan, Symantec should keep a database of the system confoguration and design so when they get calls from customers they have readly available all the system information they need, NTFS or Centers, one or 8 EV servers, Single SQL or multi-instance. Having this available onhand for the engineering staff will first of all provide the engineerin with knowledge of the customers environment and also skip the discovery part of the support call and allow the engineer to get streight to solving the issue.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello Mike,

Perhaps this is the wrong thread, but I noticed that when creating a new entry in the forum (new discussion) I cannot subscribe to it directly. I believe this could be done in the previous release. (keep me updated on replies or something.)

Thx.

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
Hi Liam,

Just looking through your reply to Mike and I agree with you, and others, in that it would be great for us to have an environment record for customers. My only problem here, is that in some larger organisations, teams do not communicate. In the event that a change has been made, what would be the chance of someone taking the time to update Symantec with the environment changes? In an ideal world this would be great, but knowing how busy people can be I don't think it's something we could be 100% confident in using, even if it was generated on the first support call.

Also, you mention about queries being run against the SQL database relating to issues such as indexing, archiving etc. A lot of information is logged in event logs, and also Deployment Scanner collates small dumps from SQL tables as part of its data gathering so we do already grab a lot of data. I totally agree with your comment about having to manually do this, but even in a multi-server environment, the data we capture is normally from the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database, which holds info for the whole site.

So some good points, my only concern is how this would work "in the real world"

Thanks

Mark

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 Mark,

I see your point and yes alot will be down to the customer updating the information with Symantec and if this was offered to the customer then make it their respopnsability to maintain it.

From what i have seen and heard it seems that most people use EV as a "set it and forget it" setup so it does not change that much. In many cases the installs are done by Symantec professional services or by Symantec partners anag this can be part of their task to populate the data once they have completed their install.

From that point on the customer is responsable. I know in our environment everytime we make a change we modify our documentation and this could very easially be made available to Symantec to ensure that they have the details on our environment.

Regarding the queries

Yes there is a lot of data in the event logs..Event logs which rollover. why not log the data into a SQL table so it can be reported against using SQL instead of having to write VBS scripts that have to make WMI calls to each server to gather data. To me this is silly. we have the power of SQl at our hands and it is not being used to provide reporting options, data gathering.

Why use event logs when it is possable to have events, index info, and everything in SQL and everything you need can be gathered in one move by running a stored procedure.

If you could open a case through the VAC and that case has the option to do a data gather, within that you can select all servers or just one then hit GO. all info is gathered all database info is provided, all logs are provided all in one gathering and then uploaded to the case so the engineer assigned has everything the moment he/she is assigned the case

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Bumping this up....

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.