cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I apply a retention policy to a vault store?

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6
In EV 8.0.2 for Exchange, I created a second e-mail vault store called Vault Store 2. I would like for emails archived to partitions in this vault store to have a different retention policy than those archived to partitions in Vault Store 1. For example, I close the current active partition in vault store 1, open a new partition in vault store 2, continue archiving the same mailboxes as always, but apply a different retention category to the email archived into the new partiion in vault store 2.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Evault_Professi
Level 6
Partner

That is correct! For some reason...I was thinking to allow "automatic enablement" this trick will be required but based on your scenario this all you will need:

1) Close the Partition on Vault Store 1.
2) Amend the properties of your existing PG to reflect that it will use the Retention Period assigned to Vault Store 2, and modify the "Override the Inherited Vault Store" field.
3) Then open the partition on Vault Store 2.

I apologize for the confusion!
Thanks,
Dennis

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

Bbasically what I am trying to accomplish is for email archived from say, May 1, 2010, to have a different retention policy than email already in the vault.

Ameen
Level 6
Hi,

I suppport Dennis Trujillo's suggestion, that really works.

Regards,
Ameen.

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6
My apologies if I am being a bit anal :) So, I can simply create a new retention category, then edit my current PG to use this new retention category and override the inherited vault store properties and choose Vault Store 2?

Evault_Professi
Level 6
Partner
I would recommend...creating the new retention period and assigning it to a different provisioning group. Then assign this provisioning group to your (Vault Store 2). These steps will at least assign a new retention period to Vault Store 2.

Since your intent is to keep the same PG but only change the Retention Period as partitions are closed. You can do the following:

1) You can deleted the PG created above as it no longer is required.
2) Close the Partition on Vault Store 1.
3) Amend the properties of your existing PG to reflect that it will use the Retention Period assigned to Vault Store 2.
4) Then open the partition on Vault Store 2.

Hope this helps!
Thanks,
Dennis

Evault_Professi
Level 6
Partner
You need to create a temporary PG first. This needs to be done to assure that the new Vault Store is created.

Changing a Retention Period on the Existing PG will not change your Vault Stores. The above trick is what will need to be done based on the scenario on how partitions are being handled at your end.

Hope this helps!
Please advise...
Thanks,
Dennis

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

Now you have me a bit confused. Why would I need a new temporary PG, let's call it PG1? I can create vault store 2 and assign PG1 to vault store 2 and retention category 2 by changing the settings in "Override the inherited Vault Store" and "Retention Category" under the Archiving Defaults tab in the PG1 properties.

Evault_Professi
Level 6
Partner

That is correct! For some reason...I was thinking to allow "automatic enablement" this trick will be required but based on your scenario this all you will need:

1) Close the Partition on Vault Store 1.
2) Amend the properties of your existing PG to reflect that it will use the Retention Period assigned to Vault Store 2, and modify the "Override the Inherited Vault Store" field.
3) Then open the partition on Vault Store 2.

I apologize for the confusion!
Thanks,
Dennis