cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use Enterprise Vault to archive Exchange that has been archived by Enterprise Vault

BrttanyTong
Level 3

Hello Guys

I hava a question ,My Mail Server is Exchange 2013 and I use Enterprise Vault 12.3 for archiving,The archiving operation does not delete the original item after archiving.When I migrate Exchagne 2013 mailbox to  other domain environment Exchange 2016,and I use Enterprise Vault 12.5, Now Unable to archive because the mail has an archive mark. What should I do.

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

1 - Migrate mailbox back to 2013, restore archive to mailbox, migrate to 2016 again..

2 - Remove EV shortcuts from mailbox, export archive to PST, import into mailbox

3 - use 3rd party migration tool to migrate archive into mailbox

4 - get a consultant in who knows EV.

That last one would have saved you a headache, as it is one of the easiest way to check how items are archived. Usually, items are not deleted, they are archived. To allow users to find them, they are converted to shortcuts. A shortcut usually does not have attachments, but links to them, and possibly contains only the first 100 lines of the original mail. It also should have a different icon, due to the messageclass change (IPM.Note turns into IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut).

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

GertjanA

Hello,

1 - Migrate mailbox back to 2013, restore archive to mailbox, migrate to 2016 again..

2 - Remove EV shortcuts from mailbox, export archive to PST, import into mailbox

3 - use 3rd party migration tool to migrate archive into mailbox

4 - get a consultant in who knows EV.

That last one would have saved you a headache, as it is one of the easiest way to check how items are archived. Usually, items are not deleted, they are archived. To allow users to find them, they are converted to shortcuts. A shortcut usually does not have attachments, but links to them, and possibly contains only the first 100 lines of the original mail. It also should have a different icon, due to the messageclass change (IPM.Note turns into IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut).

Regards. Gertjan

Thank you for your help.The mailbox has been successfully migrated to Exchange 2016. It is not possible to archive these mails with Enterprise Vault 12.5, because the migrated mails have been archived before. How to remove the archived marks?There was talk in the community of changing the database table fields and registry of the Enterprise Vault server, but no solution was provided.

Prone2Typos

@GertjanAis spot on. From what I read, you want to re-archive content in a new EV. FWIW I think you can accomplish what you are seeking with the IgnoreEVDates key

Yes,I want to re-archive content in a new EV,Is it enough to just change the registry key?

Prone2Typos

IIRC yes... but test test test test. I would try against a single mailbox that nobody cares about and test the heck out of the results. I also am mildly interested in the use case of archiving user mailboxes and not removing the data from them. Are you going to do that again? If so why?

Thank you very much.We are a branch company and have our own Enterprise Vault server. Meanwhile, it is not allowed to delete exchange data.Now, the group company has a uniform rule that it is not allowed to have its own Exchange server and Enterprise Vault server, so exchange 2013 data is migrated to the group Exchange 2016, and then re-archived using the group's Enterprise Vault server.

Hello @BrttanyTong 

As @GertjanA mentioned, it is better if you engage an EV consultant and work this into a project rather than struggling on your own and getting into issues. 

From what you mentioned in the thread, it looks like the sample mailbox you're referring to had email that were archived and Shortcuts were in the mailbox instead of the original email. And if the Outlook add-in wasn't installed on the machine you were accessing the mailbox from, it would not have appeared as an EV Shortcut. It would have been better for you in this instance to restore the archived emails in to the mailbox and then migrate the mailbox to the new Exchange environment.

But the easier way would be to go in for a 3rd party migration tool and migrate all the archives from the old Enterprise Vault set up into the the new. This will save you the trouble of playing in SQL and potentially risking data duplication/loss.  

Regards,
Sheldon Dsouza

Prone2Typos

hmmm this is not how I am reading this. I read it as she had an archiving policy that did not create shortcuts and left the original item. I beleive she is trying to re-archive the historically archived items into a non native EV environment. Assmuming I am correct, why just not use the key (test test test test test)? I am 87% sure it is one of the use cases it is designed for. It has been a while so perhaps I am mistaken.

GertjanA

Hello all,

From the original post, I get the feeling the author is not very familiar with EV. Hence my assumption (which is also 'jumping to conclusion') there are shortcuts in the mailbox.. 

The registrykey is described in the Registry.PDF in the documentation. You need to set 2 keys, one to allow rearchiving, and 1 to define up to which date items should be archived.

Regards. Gertjan

Hello @BrttanyTong 

Any thoughts on the comments/suggestions we have made?

Feel free to reach out for further clarification or help.

Regards,
Sheldon Dsouza

BrttanyTong
Level 3

Thank you everyone.