cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do user(s) save mails to a shared archive in Vault

shafty
Level 4

Hi guys,

I have created a shared archive in VAC and given a few users read/write access to the share archive. This archive as no mailbox assoicated with it. I have imported some mails to the archive for testing using pst import wizard in VAC. All users can search and browse the archive using archive explorer but I dont see a way for them to save mails into the archive from there Outlook client?

Am i missing something?

Thanks

Paul.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This depends on the Version of the EV Client used. With client Version 8.x in DCOM (not available for OL2010!) mode this might be possible, but this functionality is not offered for the newer clients 9.x (however there might be a new version supporting this in the feature).

For now you might be better off with creating a dedicated mailbox for this with write permissions for everyone which is using it. Downside is: You would have to move the Element to this mailbox first and then perform the manual archive

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This depends on the Version of the EV Client used. With client Version 8.x in DCOM (not available for OL2010!) mode this might be possible, but this functionality is not offered for the newer clients 9.x (however there might be a new version supporting this in the feature).

For now you might be better off with creating a dedicated mailbox for this with write permissions for everyone which is using it. Downside is: You would have to move the Element to this mailbox first and then perform the manual archive

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Here you are the procedure to archive items into a shared store
Create a new Shared vault store and the related partition
On Archives-Shared, create a new Shared Archive; commit the usage to the desired user (I.E. EVserviceAccount)
On the Permission tab choose which users should archive to this shared Archive.
Restart the provisioning task
Perform an archiving task synchronization.

If you are using Full Ev client you click on archive email , it gives you an otion to select the archive in which you want to store the email.
You can ingest emails to the vault using the PSt import wizard

edit @Shared archives are flat, unstructured archives, much like that of a Journal Archive. There will be no folder structured upheld in the archive, as all contents will be displayed in one directory.

shafty
Level 4

Thanks guys for your quick responses. I am running EV client 9.0.2 and dont get the option to select the archive too store the mails...

Pretty pointless having a shared archive and cant add any mails too it from the front end i.e. From within Outlook ...

Paul.

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Well the main puropose of shared archives was more to give a number of users access to a previously existing dataset, not to enable them to work together and inserting new data. 

What you can try is to install the 8.0.5 Client and set it to operate in DCOM mode. This will however not work if your user work with Outlook 2010.

As written above there was an announcement for a new client in version 9 or 10 which will offer the functionality to store in another vault.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You can import PST files as well using the PST import wizard. If you want individual users to store item in the shared archive they need to run full Ev client (dcom client ) and as mentioned by Simon full client is not available for outlook 2010.

So the workarounf is to use outlook 2007 or earlier with full ev client so they can archive item to the shared mailbox