cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you deal with non-standard message classes?

Nate_D1
Level 6

Hi All,

I have posted a similar question before on the forums, found here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/remove-non-standard-message-classes-we-choose-not-archive but I wound up not following through on any of this after running into some issues.

I am sure that people are dealing with this in some way, and wondering how you are doing it! Certain items filter down and live at the bottom of a users mailbox, and will reside there forever without a manual deletion. Items like 'IPM.Schedule.Meeting.Resp.Pos' (someone 'accepting' a meeting invite, if you have 'Request response' enabled) and similar items like 'IPM.Schedule.Meeting.Resp.Neg/Tent' or 'IPM.Schedule.Meeting.Canceled' (cancelled meeting notification). Since they dont match a message class that we are archiving. I tried to create the 'IPM.Schedule*' message class to capture these items in the archive run (in quote below, and last post in my thread above), but they dont get picked up. I dont care wether they get a hard-delete, get archived and stored in vault, or what happens to them -as long as they get out of the user mailboxes.

EV Admin console > Right click Directory on xxxx. > properties > Exchange Message Classes > Add..

And add IPM.Schedule.Meeting.*

Click ok, go back to EV admin console

Policies>Exchange>Mailbox>Right click policy, properties>Message Classes>Check the box with the new classes.

I would like to hear what the community has done to handle these messages. They dont take up a ton of space, but with several thousand mailboxes this can start to add up.

-Natemessageclass_issue.png

messageclasses.png

5 REPLIES 5

SHI-CRO
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Are you sure they're not archived?  I may be wrong here, but I think some items don't have shortcuts and the original items stay instead of getting replaced with shortcut.

Can you see them in archive explorer or the search page?

Nate_D1
Level 6

Hi SHI-CRO

I apologize for not including that above, but you are correct. I had noticed that when I was looking into this earlier as well. The items are being archived, I can definetly see them in my search archive/archive explorer.

But I would like to have them either replaced with a shortcut (and then deleted on schedule), or just deleted on the regular schedule. (We do 30days = shortcut, 90days = shortcut deletion) so that we can keep our mailbox sizes down.

Thank you,

-Nate

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Nate.D,

I think this technote can help you on this issue:

Setting up shortcut deletion
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO56649

It says:

When certain items such as calendar, task, and meeting items are archived, the original item is not replaced with a shortcut. By default, the archiving task does not delete the original items when it performs shortcut deletion. To include such items in shortcut deletion, configure the registry setting, DeleteNonShortcutItems. The setting is described in the Registry Values manual.

That HOW-TO is for 10.0.4 but the same applies for EV 9:

Setting up shortcut deletion
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO37178

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

In addition, this is the Registry Values PDF for EV 9:

Symantec Enterprise Vault 9.0 - Registry Values
http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC2848

Here is the description for this registry key:

DeleteNonShortcutItems

\SOFTWARE
    \KVS
      \Enterprise Vault
        \Agents

Content:
The registry setting can have one of the following integer values, or a value which is the sum of two or more of the values:

■ 0 (default) – Original items are not included in any shortcut deletion.
■ 1 – Original items are included in aged-based shortcut deletion.
■ 2 – Original items are included in storage expiry shortcut deletion.
■ 4 – Original items are included in orphaned shortcut deletion.
Example cumulative values:
■ 3 – Original items are included in aged-based shortcut deletion and storage expiry shortcut deletion.
■ 7 – Original items are included in aged-based shortcut deletion, storage expiry shortcut deletion, and orphaned shortcut deletion.

If the value set is greater than or equal to 8, then task behavior is as for 0 (default); items are not included in any shortcut deletion.

Description:
When certain items such as calendar, task, and meeting items are archived, the original item in the mailbox is not replaced with a shortcut. By default, the original items are not included in storage expiry shortcut deletion, age-based shortcut deletion, or orphaned shortcut deletion. Configure this registry setting to include such items in the required shortcut deletion runs.

Storage expiry is configured in site properties.

Aged-based shortcut deletion and orphaned shortcut deletion are configured in the Exchange Mailbox policy, on the Shortcut Deletion tab.

Based on this description, you would be using the value of 1, so the original items are included in aged-based shortcut deletion, which is basically what are you looking for.

I hope this helps.

Nate_D1
Level 6

Hey GabeV,

I appreciate your responses, they are great! This is bringing back a lot of memories now :)

As a preface- I have upgraded to 10.0.3 since the last post, so we are on 10.x now.

I recall that I *did* set the 'DeleteNonShortcutItems' registry value but found that it wipes out all task items as well, which was a big issue for anyone that tracks tasks for projects longer than 90 days (we have some multi-year projects).  I apologize for not including this info earlier!

Do you have any thoughts on how I could get it to only affect the non-task items? I've got to think I am not the only person with this issue! :)