cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you recreate a folder under an FSA volume that is has gone missing?

SheltonS
Level 3

EV 10.04

Just tried to do a bulk restore from an old archive using FSAUtility -t -s "\\OldServer\Dept\Acct\path1" -d "\\NewServer\Dept\Acct\path1" and receive the folllowing error:

Error: The path \\OldServer\Dept\Acct\path1 is not associated with an archived volume. If you migrated placeholders to this location, let the File System Archiving task process the volume, then stop the task and re-run this command

I checked, and sure enough, while the archive volume "Dept" still exists, the folder "Acct" has disappeared.  All the other folders under "Dept" are still there.  The Archive Point "Acct" still exists and the File Placeholder Service on "OldServer" still still works recalling files from the folder in question.  I just can't do any FSAUtility commands.

How do I recover the folder?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Fixed my problem.  I did some digging and realized that even though I ran an archiving task, nothing was really happening.  At some point in the past since this is an old system, I unchecked the "Archive this volume" checkbox on the volume.  Discovering this, I re-checked the box, added the folder that was missing and then ran an archiving task.  Checking the log, I could see where it processed the folder in question.  Once it completed, I was able to run FSAUtility commands again against the folder successfully.  I think not having the volume in archiving mode meant that the task didn't correct the database initially.

Thanks for the help!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

Hi SheltonS, 

This is typically due to a volume being deleted and then re-added to the console.  It could also be that the folder name had changed at some point.  

How does the archive look in Archive Explorer/EVS?  Does that folder appear?  

Regards,

Patrick 

The folder shows up in Archive Explorer and Archive Search.  It is just missing from the folder listing in EVAC.  I can restore files from a search and from a placeholder.  Just not from FSAUtility. 

I don't think the volume has been deleted and re-added.  There are many folders under this volume and only this one is missing.  The name is still the same.

Are there duplicate archives with the same name pointing to the same Old server?  

Are you able to add the folder back to the old server, without creating an archive point, and test the restore?  

Search and Archive Explorer would show the index data related to the ArchiveFolder table in the archive and it would not validate the path as FSAUtility will. 

Regards,

Patrick 

To clarify...are you able to add the folder target back to the console without creating the archive point and then run the command? 

I can successfully add the folder back under the volume (selecting to not create an Archive Point) but re-running the FSAUtility command results in the same error. Poking around in the database, it just looks like somehow the folder was deleted and it orphaned the Archive Point.  All the archives are there and they can be retrieved by means that just access the Archive Point.  I can also query the table EnterpriseVaultDirectory and see all the directories under the missing folder in that table so I think all the data is still there - I just need to re-create the folder and re-associate its data back to it.  I just don't know the schema well enough to perform this level of surgery on the database.

Support should be able to help in creating the folder if you have an ETS contract since 10.0.4 is out of support.  

You could add the folder to the source server, if there is still a task that can process it, and the folder will be added to the ArchiveFolder table.  You could then change the ParentFolderRootIdentity value to the RootIdentity value that points to the folder above that one in the structure.  This should re-associate that folder.  

Regards, 

Patrick 

Yeah, this is a retired system that we are trying to migrate from so we dropped support.  I'm working on re-establishing support now.  BTW - the volume and the folder still exist on the original server so I'm not dealing with a moved archive or an archive where the server's been decommissioned.

The ArchiveFolder table already contains the missing folder row entry and the data is correct. The ParentFolderRootIdentity is NULL because it is one of the root folders of the archive volume.  It is just missing from the right-hand pane in the EVAC GUI when you are under the Targets node, Filer Servers, <the file server> and click on the volume.  Somehow the Volume doesn't know that it is one of its root folders.  That's the piece I can't find how to make re-connect. 

After doing a backup, I tried to add back the folder and create an Archive Point during the process.  EV creates the folder but gives the error "The specified Archive point already exists!".  I looked at the NTFS streams on the volume and the two ADS XML files are still there for the folder in question.  I've run the Archive task for 2 days now but it has not pulled the folder back into the folder listing.

BTW - after creating the folder using the method above, I still get the FSAUtility error.  

That folder should not have a ParentFolderRootIdentity of null if it was a sub-folder of an archive.  If that is the case then it should have an archive of its own.  Is there an archive with that name? 

You should be able to see more in the ArchiveFolderView as this will list the ArchiveVEID for each folder.  The below query can be used to query the vault store database.  Use one of the SET values to return information. 

DECLARE @ArchiveName nvarchar(75)

DECLARE @ArchiveID nvarchar(75)

DECLARE @FolderID nvarchar(75)

DECLARE @Idtransaction nvarchar(40)

SET @ArchiveID = NULL

SET @ArchiveName = NULL

SET @FolderID = NULL

SET @Idtransaction = NULL

Select

Archive.ArchiveName,

Idtransaction,

SP.SavesetIdentity,

FolderPath,

CASE

WHEN LEFT(sp.properties,2) = '<?' THEN SUBSTRING(properties, (CHARINDEX('<filename>', properties)+10), (CHARINDEX('</filename>', properties)-(CHARINDEX('<filename>', properties)+10)))

WHEN LEFT(sp.properties,6) = 'FSA/3/' THEN SUBSTRING(properties, 7, CHARINDEX('/', properties, 7)-7)

END as FileName,

SP.Properties

FROM 

EnterpriseVaultDirectory.dbo.root r1

JOIN EnterpriseVaultDirectory.dbo.Root r2 on r1.RootIdentity = r2.ContainerRootIdentity

JOIN EnterpriseVaultDirectory.dbo.archive on r1.RootIdentity = Archive.RootIdentity

JOIN EnterpriseVaultDirectory.dbo.ArchiveFolder on r2.RootIdentity = ArchiveFolder.RootIdentity

JOIN Vault on r2.VaultEntryId = Vault.Vaultid

JOIN Saveset ss on Vault.VaultIdentity = ss.VaultIdentity

JOIN SavesetProperty sp on ss.savesetidentity = sp.SavesetIdentity

WHERE

r1.VaultEntryid= ISNULL(@ArchiveID, r1.VaultEntryid)

AND ArchiveName = ISNULL(@ArchiveName, ArchiveName)   

AND r2.VaultEntryid = ISNULL(@FolderID, r2.VaultEntryId)  

AND ss.IdTransaction = ISNULL(@Idtransaction, ss.IdTransaction)

I think I we may be describing two different things.  The folder in question is one of 16 root folders of an archive volume that were added via "Add folder" by right clicking on the FSA volume.  I can see 15 of the 16 folders in the GUI. Each root folder was created with its own Archive Point for itself and all its subfolders.

The structure is basically \\Server.FQDN\share\folder1...folder16 and the FSA volume is the share and the 16 folders in the root of the share are the folders in question.  One of the 16 is missing from the GUI and is what I cannot run FSAUtility against.  I can run FSAUtility commands against all the other directories on the same volume - just nothing against the missing folder or its subfolders.  Again, I can retrieve files from the archive via search or via placeholders, just can't do bulk operations.

If I run the following SQL:

SELECT * FROM [EnterpriseVaultDirectory].[dbo].[ArchiveFolderView]
where ParentFolderRootIdentity is NULL AND FolderPath LIKE '\\Server.FQDN\Share\%' 

I get back all 16 root directories including the missing one.  I compare them and everthing looks OK.  I look at the ADS XML files for the missing directory and the ID's match what is in the SQL table.

I just don't know what association is broken to repair.

Fixed my problem.  I did some digging and realized that even though I ran an archiving task, nothing was really happening.  At some point in the past since this is an old system, I unchecked the "Archive this volume" checkbox on the volume.  Discovering this, I re-checked the box, added the folder that was missing and then ran an archiving task.  Checking the log, I could see where it processed the folder in question.  Once it completed, I was able to run FSAUtility commands again against the folder successfully.  I think not having the volume in archiving mode meant that the task didn't correct the database initially.

Thanks for the help!