cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does archiving process work?

vivavilla
Level 3

Hi all, hoping someone can help here

I'm having really inconsistent results when it comes to the archiving process. Sometimes when I enable a user, after a short while the mail items begin to archive without a problem. Other times, nothing seems to happen at all.

For example I am testing on my own mailbox now with the default policy. I enabled my mailbox yesterday but nothing has archived yet, why would this be? Nothing seems to force the process either. I assume by running the Mailbox Archiving Task this should automatically begin archiving for me? I have also tried to sync with the client toolbar but still nothing.

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

The automated archiving process runs to schedule defined on the task.

Try doing a "Run Now" against your mailbox by right clicking on the task and follow the wizard.

Have you run provisioning task? Does this complete without issue? Check the Event logs

I would strongly advise you seek training on EV and read the Admin guides etc as alot of the information you need is covered in them.

vivavilla
Level 3

Yep, run the mailbox task and the provisioning task. Both run without a problem.

I have followed the guides as best I can, there doesn't seem to be anything specific that addresses my needs here.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

What archiving policy did you set up?  If you did it based on quota, and you're well under quota (for example) then nothing will get archived.

What happens if you do a run-now in report mode ?

Working for cloudficient.com

vivavilla
Level 3

No quotas, however I have noticed several errors in the event log now:

Event ID 3176: A RetrieveMarkedItems request has failed

Event ID 8390: The EnterpriseVault.DirectoryConnection object reported an error

Event ID 8453: The EnterpriseVault.DirectoryService object reported an error

Event ID 13360: An error detected while accessing the Vault Database 'EnterpriseVaultDirectory'

Interestingly these only seem to happen on one mailbox in particular.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi Vivavilla,

Could you post the contents of the event logs? Those event logs are quite generic so it will be difficult to see the problem unless we can see what's the specific errors within the logs.

If it's only happening to this mailbox, I suspect there might be some corruption messages in his mailbox. Perhaps a dtrace will give us more details on why ev is not archiving this particular mailbox.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH58820 - How to capture a Dtrace of an archiving issue with Enterprise Vault for Microsoft Exchange

What version of EV are you running by the way?

TSO
Level 4

Hi Vivavilla

Dtrace ArchivingTask, directory service as suggested by Chau and post the DTrace.