cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Configure Enterprise Vault Mailbox Archiving Policy For Specific Requirement

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I am having EV 11 for Exchange 2010 implemented. I am having a specific requirement which is as given below.

1. Archive all mail items from user mail box, which are older than 45 days.

2. Any new mail item arrived in my mailbox which is more than 1024KB, should get archive immediately after 1 day.

3. Retention for both of the above mentioned requirement is 1 Year

As I understood, the above requirements I can configure in exchange mailbox policy. But parallely I also have below requirement for which I am looking for the help.

Any mail which comming from helpdesk@test.com should get archive after 1 day. However, for these mails, the retention policy has to be 6 months

I know, creating seperate folder in my Inbox for the helpdesk mails & applying specific policy, will work in this scenario. However, without creating folder, is there any way to configure the policy.

I have tried custom filtering, but it didn't work. May be I would be doing some mistake while creating custom filter.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You are not going to be able to force the 1 day archive policy using filtering, you would need to teach your users to put the mail in a folder with a 1 day policy assigned.

If you are doing manual archive you will need to enable your users to select the retention policy and teach them to choose the correct policy if they were to manually archive.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

have a look at this article for how to do what you're asking about. https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/custom-filtering-enterprise-vault

follow the steps in the article and if you're still having problems we'll need (at least) the following information:

1. exactly what you added to the registry
2. your .xml files. make sure to note whether they are unicode or ANSI
3. dtrace of ArchiveTask

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have rectified custom filtering issues. As observed, retention catagory is getting applied on the specific mails if mails are getting archived by the server (mailbox archiving task). However if I archive the same mail manually from my outlook, then common retention policy is getting applied.

Also for those particular mails, 1 day archive period is not working in this combination.

Any idea? how I can achieve both.

Attaching custom fiter XML files for the reference.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i suppose if you want to capture all emails you can enable journaling. the alternative would be to not allow manual archiving since it bypasses your custom filter as you have observed.

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Well, Journal mailbox archiving is not licensed. As I mentioned, I am looking for 1 day archiving of particular mail which can be applied for end user.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You are not going to be able to force the 1 day archive policy using filtering, you would need to teach your users to put the mail in a folder with a 1 day policy assigned.

If you are doing manual archive you will need to enable your users to select the retention policy and teach them to choose the correct policy if they were to manually archive.