cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Watch EV Archving or Journaling in real time

Trafford
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Enterprise Vault by it's nature is a "background" engine, and thus does not have much in the way of real time monitoring tools.

This is a method of watching EV working in real time. It is particularly useful for monitoiring Journaling Mailboxes, which have constant activity, but works just as well during archiving, providing you are watching while archiving is actually taking place.

You may need to manually run an archiving task to trigger activity.

This is premised on the Fact that EV uses the Exchange "Message Class" to identify EV Objects like shotcuts, and pending items, and tie them to the appropriate Exchange Forms to display the correct icons and content.

Ensure that the archiving schedule allows Archiving and / or PST Migration at the time you want to monitor the process in outlook.

Open users outlook
Display inbox (or folder of interest)

Add columns to the display Outlook 2010
Click View Tab > Add Columns
In the Drop Box select All Mail Fields
Scroll down in Available Columns > Select "Message Class"
Click Add
Double click the Massage Class COlun Header to sort
Click Expand/collapse to Collapse ALL

Add Columns to the display Outlook 2007
Right Click on a column Header - Customize Current View
Click Fields
Drop Box - All Mail Fields
Scroll down list - Select - Message Class - ADD - OK

Back in the Inbox View
Double Click Message Class Column Header to sort by Message Class
View - Arrange By - Show In Groups
Right Click on a Class Header & Select Collapse all

You should now see all classes with the number of messages in each
Check the Enterprise Vault Classes
You should see the normal note class increasing as mail arrives, and decreasing as journaling or archiving occurs
EV Pending Increasing as items are identified for arciving
EV Pending Decreasing as messages are archived.
NB If Safety Copies are enabled on the Vault store, Pending items are only converted to shortcuts after the next backup.
EV Shortcut items increasing as items are deleted from Exchange.

Something like this (taken from a journaling mailbox, thus no shortcuts) :-

Once you have the idea you can vary the actual setup for your particualar purposes.

Happy Archiving

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

yup, you can also get those counts from the MonitoringWebApp (EVOM) as well, but then again thats just the monitoring middle tier reading from the performance counters every 15 mins

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can also go to http:\\evserver\enterprisevault\usage.asp to get archiving info. You just need to refresh the page.

JesusWept3
Level 6
You can also use perfmon

anon1m0us1
Level 6

Percy- Great tip. However, I am a domain admin and I received "Access Denied" by Save Report By, Active Archivesm Total items, Total Size, Awaiting Backup. Why is that? My ID is also in the authorization manager.

JesusWept3
Level 6

for Usage.asp and listvaults.asp , through IIS remove the Integrated Windows Authentication from those files so it just uses Basic Authentication, then retry and give it your EVAdmin username and password

anywho, the Usage pages does not use RBA, and its atually more to do with Database rights than anything else

Chris_Warren
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

You can also use the MSMQs on the EV Server as a 'spot check' to show that items are actively processing through.  Granted this is a high level view, but you can use this to confirm items are processing to Storage (Storage Archive Queue), or using J1/A1 (Journal/Mailbox post processing), etc.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

to monitor journal mailboxes (Exchange 07 and 10) i use a powershell script which returns the item count for the inbox folder (plus any other folders if i'm concerned about them) and if it's over a certain threshold it'll inform me. there's a dozen ways to skin a cat... or ev in this case ;)

JesusWept3
Level 6

yup, you can also get those counts from the MonitoringWebApp (EVOM) as well, but then again thats just the monitoring middle tier reading from the performance counters every 15 mins

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Same on my side - I have written powershell script which generates journal mailbox stats and email every 3 hours highlighting any yellow/red zone. ;)

anon1m0us1
Level 6

AKL,

Sorry, but you can not tell me people of cool scripts and not share it:)

Trafford
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Are there any pre-configured Perfmon sets to monitor aspects of EV.

I have looked in there and seen there are tons of EV specific counters available, but trying to figure out which ones are the useful ones to monitor is not obvious.

The competitive product from EMC comes with a nice pre-configured Perfmon showing the main 7 or 8 task performance.

Trafford
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I have to say I don't find the Queues particularly informative.

It would be really helpful if they had useful names instead of A3, A5 etc

EG Journal Pending for J2, Items Backed Up for A1 etc

On the sites I am invovled with they are usually all zero or just sit there with static numbers even when refreshed regularly.

Trafford
Level 4
Partner Accredited

That's pretty much what my OUrlook setup does in a graphical way.

The EVOM also has a journal box message counter with threshold.

I have also created an Event Viewer Custom View to track Event ID 3229 which sets if a journal mailbox goes over threshold