cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automate "Store in Vault"...

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hi Forum,
Does anyone have any URLs pointing to any references re calling "EV" functionality from VBS?  I want to automate the "Store in Vault" button funtionality.  i.e. create an end-user script that trundles down the email folder structure and sends/marks un-vaulted emais for offlining to the vault store.  I'm good with VBS, and I know how to parse the Outlook application objects in VBS.  All I need is the name of the object(s) to instantiate for EV, and which function (object class) to call to effectively send emails to the vault store.  Any URLs pointing to documentation for EV objects within VBS would be good too.
Thanks in advance,
Dave.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
ok well the easy answer is there is no documentation because what you're looking for cannot be done in a scripted fashion through VBS as there are no open methods or API calls you can make. You can record macros or use yugen scripts or similar things to simulate what you're doing

That being said you can always set up EV policies to do 0 day archiving if you wanted, or you can click Inbox and hit store in vault and it will ask if you want to archive subfolders too and it will go through and archive everything

Or you could set up Virtual Vault and have an outlook rule to move all incoming mail to virtual vault so it spends little time in your inbox
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi Dave,

Any particular type of email you're looking for?

The idea of EV is that you specify what needs to be archived, after how many days, of which size, or to get the mailbox under quota (to name a few), and let ev handle that. No need for writing vbs scripts there.
Sending mails to the store yourself most likely will fail, because of the underlying sql-updating, sis-checking etc.

If you explain what you want your vbs to do, perhaps someone can tell you how to configure that within EV.

Regards. Gertjan

JesusWept3
Level 6

I don't think the Valkyrie.dll has an open methods that can be called like an API, so its not like you can do something like

set myEVApp = CreateObject("EnterpriseVault.Client...")  etc

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

There isn't a method for doing this.

Mike
EV Engineering

JesusWept3
Level 6
best you can do is a recorded macro or yugen script or something similar

FlyingBus
Level 4
make a policy that applies to a container/group whatever and move users to that group? that's what we do with leavers.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Thanks everyone for the tips so far.
I guess if I were to re-express my requirement.  I want to implement the "store in vault" button via a script, i.e. write a script that recurses down through my email folders, and for each un-archived email effectively press the "store-in-vault" button.  Basically, I have too much email, and I regularly fill up to my mailbox limit, and it's time consuming to manually go through all my email folders selecting emails and then strore in vault, whichj I have to wait for to perform it's pre-processing.  I'd rather just run a script in the background.

So, all I need is a little bit of documentation on the objects and methods that the "store-in-vault" button implementes/calls from within Outlook.

Thanks,
Dave.

JesusWept3
Level 6
ok well the easy answer is there is no documentation because what you're looking for cannot be done in a scripted fashion through VBS as there are no open methods or API calls you can make. You can record macros or use yugen scripts or similar things to simulate what you're doing

That being said you can always set up EV policies to do 0 day archiving if you wanted, or you can click Inbox and hit store in vault and it will ask if you want to archive subfolders too and it will go through and archive everything

Or you could set up Virtual Vault and have an outlook rule to move all incoming mail to virtual vault so it spends little time in your inbox