cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change location of SLQ databases?

Askar_Kopbayev
Level 4
the full question is how to change location of SQL databases when the current SQL server is offline?

Yesterday we had situation when the SQL went down and I restored the last backup of SQL DBases but could not change their location through Administration Console of KVS server because Direrctory service was not running and could not be started.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You could go into Data Sources ODBC Connection and on the System DSN tab there will be one for EnterpriseVaultDirectory. Highlight and and choose configure, there will be a line for the sql server, put the new one in there and hit finish. That should get you going.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Askar_Kopbayev
Level 4
Another question:

I have restored directory and vault databases to different SQl server and changed the name of sql server in administration console, but looks like KVS server sees only directory db on new sql server. All services start and work, no errors in event log, but I can not open any of archived items.How to make SQL server to see vault db on new sql server?

TonySterling
Enterprise Vault procedure for moving SQL

The following steps are required to move the Enterprise Vault databases to the new SQL server.

1. Install SQL on the new server.

2. Stop all Enterprise Vault services on all Enterprise Vault servers (Stop Enterprise Vault Admin Service).

3. Backup the Enterprise Vault Databases.

4. Verify the backups.

5. Restore the databases to the new SQL server.

6. Verify that the Vault service account has permissions to modify all Enterprise Vault databases on the server.

Instructions for moving the Directory database:

1. From within the Enterprise Vault Administration Console, right-click on the Enterprise Vault level and select Properties.

2. This displays the Enterprise Vault properties page. Click the Change Directory SQL Server button.

3. The Change Directory SQL Server dialog is displayed. Enter the name of the new SQL Server and click OK.

4. A progress dialog is displayed to indicate the change is being made.

5. A success dialog is displayed when the change has been completed.

6. Restart the Enterprise Vault Directory Service.

Instructions for moving the VaultStore databases

1. Stop all Storage Service that manages the vault stores

2. From within the Enterprise Vault Administration Console, right-click on the name of the vault store and select Properties.

3. The properties for the vault store are displayed, select the Database tab.

4. Next to SQL Server, enter the name of the new SQL Server and click OK.

5. Start the Storage Service.

Askar_Kopbayev
Level 4
Thanks, I already read it and did it, but there is still another important question: How to move the Directory database when the old sql server unavailable? I could not change it because I could not start Directory service because old sql server was unreachable.

TonySterling
You could go into Data Sources ODBC Connection and on the System DSN tab there will be one for EnterpriseVaultDirectory. Highlight and and choose configure, there will be a line for the sql server, put the new one in there and hit finish. That should get you going.

Askar_Kopbayev
Level 4
Thanks a lot. That is exactly whay I needed :)